Established School Streets
A pilot School Streets scheme was introduced in September 2018 at the new site of Nishkam School West London. Restrictions for this scheme were the first to include both resident-only access in multiple roads and red route controls along Syon Lane. The scheme expanded in September 2020 to include Leigham Drive and the Great West Road slip road following community engagement.
At Cranford Primary School, a ‘no motor vehicle’ restriction was introduced on a short section of Berkeley Avenue enforced at school start and finish times. This was the first time in Hounslow that such restrictions have been enforced by an ANPR camera. The School Street has been well received by local residents and the school community with pupil travel data showing a reduction in car use from 30% to 13%, and an increase in walking and cycling from 63% to 82% between 2017 and 2019.
Strand-on-the-Green Infant and Junior Schools have a manual barrier on Brooks Lane to prevent vehicle activity during school start and finish times. This measure has been effective since the road is not used for residential access and the barrier is managed by the school.
New School Streets
Plans for the following trials were consulted on and approved in early 2020. All three have been approved and will become permanent measures.
- Marlborough Primary / Smallberry Green / Green School for Girls - A new School Streets zone in Isleworth will be implemented in October 2020 to manage the impact of motor vehicles on London Road (red route controls) and nearby cul-de-sacs (resident access only on Darcy Road, Finney Lane, Holdernesse Road, Blenheim Way, Jodrell Close, Turnpike Way and Old Pound Close).
- Nishkam School West London (extension) - The school’s existing scheme expanded to include ‘resident access only’ restrictions on Leigham Drive and the Great West Road slip road.
- Sparrow Farm Infant & Nursery School - A small scheme has been introduced on the stretch of Denham Road closest to the school. Access is limited to off-street premises such as driveways and the school car park, improving road safety for the school’s youngest children.
Experimental schemes at the following schools were trialled between September 2020 and July 2021. Following consultation with school staff, parents and residents, these schemes will be made permanent measures.
- St Mary’s Catholic Primary School & The William Hogarth Primary School - Measures have been introduced on Duke Road from its junction with Fraser Street to the schools' entrances.
- The Orchard Primary School - Measures have been introduced on Orchard Road leading to Benham Gardens.
- Hounslow Heath Junior School - Measures have been introduced on Selwyn Close.
- St Paul’s CofE Primary School - Measures have been introduced on Albany Road from the access into Watermans Court to the end of the cul-de-sac (junction with Alexandra Road).
- Edward Pauling Primary School - A small scheme has been introduced on the short section of Redford Close leading to the school’s entrance.
- Fairholme Primary School - Measures have been introduced on Peacock Avenue from its junction with Dudley Road up to the school’s entrance.
- St Michael & St Martin Catholic Primary School - Measures have been introduced on Belgrave Road and Logan Close.
- Lampton School - Measures have been introduced on Lampton Avenue leading to Sutton Dene, North Dene and Berwyn Avenue.
- Spring Grove Primary School - Measures have been introduced on Star Road from the junction with London Road.
- Ivybridge Primary School - Measures have been introduced on the cul-de-sac section of Summerwood Road leading directly to the school.
- Green Dragon Primary School - Measures have been introduced on North Road.
- Oriel Academy West London - Measures have been introduced on the Hounslow Road slip road leading to the school.
- Springwell School - Measures have been introduced on Speart Lane while a scheme is worked up for the wider area.
The following 3 schemes within South Chiswick’s Liveable Neighbourhood were trialled between November 2020 and July 2021. Schemes for Cavendish and Grove Park have been approved while a new trial is proposed for Chiswick School.
- Cavendish Primary School - Footway widening, red route controls and a timed restriction on the service road behind Edensor Road will be introduced to manage traffic around the school.
- Grove Park Primary School – Resident access only restrictions will be introduced on Nightingale Close and sections of St Thomas’ Road and Grove Park Terrace.
- Chiswick School - A timed closure will be introduced on a section of Staveley Road to improve road safety and congestion at the start and end of the school day (estimated December 2020).
Experimental schemes at the following schools were trialled between November 2020 and July 2021. All three have been approved and will become permanent measures.
- Isleworth Town Primary School - Resident access only restriction on nearby roads (Smallberry Avenue, Mandeville Road, a section of Linkfield Rd, Townfield Way and roads branching from it).
- Hounslow Town Primary School - Resident access only restrictions on School Road and Pears Road.
- Lionel Primary School - Resident access only restrictions on sections of Carville Crescent and Crowther Avenue at the school's rear entrance.