Free Cycle Training
1 to 1 Adult Cycle Training
Whether you're a complete beginner who feels nervous of going on roads safely, or a regular cyclist who's looking to brush up on advanced skills, our qualified instructors will tailor the cycle training session to suit you. Sessions can also include planning and riding a safe route to work/school. Available to those who live, work or study in Hounslow.
- Book up to 2 x free 2-hour sessions
- You must be 16 years of age or above
- Session delivered on a 1 rider to 1 instructor ratio
- Bikes and helmets available to borrow free of charge
- Refundable booking charge of a £5 deposit
- Lampton Park Cycling Hub in Lampton Park, Bulstrode Avenue entrance, TW3 4LD. Cycles available to borrow.
- Hanworth Cycling Hub in Hanworth Air Park Leisure Centre & Library, Feltham TW13 5EG. Cycles available to borrow.
- Flexible Location - Our instructors can arrange to meet you at a preferred site in Hounslow, which they consider appropriate for cycle training. Cycles not available to borrow.
Based on the Government's latest guidance for COVID-19, riders and instructors must adhere to the following to ensure safety:
- Only attend training if you and the people in your household are symptom free for 14 days
- Follow social distancing, wear a mask and avoid all physical contact
- Use hand sanitiser at the start and end of the session
- All equipment will be sterilised before and after every session/rider
Alternatively, email email@example.com or call on 0208 980 7998.
Free Family Cycle Training
Build confidence to cycle as a family with our family cycle skills courses at Hanworth Cycling Hub. Our qualified instructors will show you and your children how to cycle as a group in Hanworth Park. Training is suitable for regular cyclists looking to brush up on advanced skills. Please note complete beginners (adult or children) will not be accepted. Our instructors will meet you in the park and begin by assessing your cycling levels. From there the session will be tailored to suit your cycling capabilities and needs.
Due to Covid-19 protocol we are running the sessions following the rule of 6 guidelines:
- Off Road Cycle Training 1:5 ( x 1 Instructor : 5 Cyclists) Hanworth Park only.
- We are unable to do on road training for groups of 4 or more cyclists
Next course: May Half Term - booking details tbc
TfL's Free Online Cycle Skills Course
Whether you're new to cycling or just want to brush up on your skills, TfL's free online Cycle Skills course provides easy to follow tips and advice to get you going. There are four short modules to try. And if you complete all four modules, you'll receive a unique 15% discount code so you can save on Halfords own-brand cycle lights, locks and helmets.
- Tips to get you and your cycle prepared for the road
- How to start cycling on the road safely and responsibly
- Tips to brush up on your cycling skills
- How to cycle in a group with children or adults
What are you waiting for? register now
Children's Cycle Training
Update: In-school cycle training sessions can continue to take place.
Our children's cycle training courses follow the National Standard Bikeability Training (the new Cycling Proficiency). Free Bikeability Level 1 & 2 cycle training is offered to your child when they are in Year 6. This is typically booked via your child’s primary school.
If your child missed out on cycle training in school, we also offer cycle training courses during school holidays. Please see details of the latest courses below or email us for upcoming dates. We typically run Lean to Ride and Bikeability Level 1 & 2 sessions. Please note, for these holiday courses there is usually a small subsidised cost.
There are different cycling courses available based on your child’s ability and age. Levels explained below:
- Learn to Ride – Suitable for children who cannot ride a bike. This course will develop balance, improve co-ordination, gain confidence and how to ride safely. Takes place off-road with an experienced instructor.
- Level 1 & 2 – Suitable for children 9 years +. Children must be able to cycle for this course. It develops children’s handling and control of the bike, boosts confidence and refines skills at their own pace. Riders will then be taken onto quiet roads and simple junctions, to develop rider’s skills and confidence on road, preparing them for cycling on more complex, busier roads.
- Level 3 – Suitable for children 11 year +. Children must be able to cycle confidently for this training. Riders will develop skills for more challenging road and traffic situations; busier streets and multi-lane traffic, complex junctions and roundabouts, queuing traffic, as well as planning a bespoke safe route to school/home.
For more information on children's courses, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trying to teach your child how to ride a bike? HSBC's Ready Set Ride is a useful interactive website and mobile app to help parents teach their children how to ride a bike through fun games and activities. Watch their video guides on Youtube.