Charging points for residents without off-street parking
We are committed to providing electric vehicle charge points for residents who own an electric vehicle or are considering buying an electric vehicle but do not have off-street parking available. As the majority of electric / hybrid owners usually charge their cars overnight on a driveway, we recognise that residents without off-street parking might be put-off purchasing an electric or hybrid vehicle because they do not have access nearby charge points.
In order to overcome some of the potential barriers to purchase, the council is fitting electric vehicle charging points into streetlights allowing residents to directly charge their car from lamp columns located on the kerb side to the front of the footway. The charge points can be used by anyone who has the relevant charge cable.
What do I need to take part?
In order to be eligible for the scheme you will need to:
- demonstrate that you already own an EV or plug in hybrid or have committed to purchasing one
- have no off-street parking at your property
- make a financial contribution of £500 towards the cost of the charge cable. You will be able to pay for this over the phone by debit/credit card or via bank transfer.
How do I get involved?
If you meet the above criteria and want to take part, fill out the e-form at the bottom of this page with the following:
- Your name and address
- A scanned copy of your vehicle registration certificate (V5C), copy of your deposit confirmation, and your parking permit number if you live in an area with a CPZ.
- 5 streetlights in order of preference you would want to have charge points installed at (please think carefully about what parking pressure is like locally). Please indicate the nearest house number the streetlight is located to
- A signed user agreement form
What will I receive?
A charging cable with an inbuilt meter which is compatible with the charge points and will record your energy consumption
Access to your current electricity supplier's domestic tariff for any energy used
A log-in to your online connectivity manager which will display all of the charging processes made with the cable and will detail the itemised charge for each transaction