Apply for or renew a Blue Badge

If you are disabled, you may be able to get a Blue Badge parking permit which will allow you to park closer to shops and other facilities.

Who can apply

You automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if you are over 2 years old and:

  • receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
  • receive a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) because you can’t walk more than 50 metres (a score of 8 points or more under the 'moving around' activity of the mobility component)
  • registered blind (severely sight impaired)
  • receive a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
  • have received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
  • receive the mobility component of PIP and have obtained 10 points specifically for descriptor E under the 'planning and following journeys' activity, on the grounds that you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress

You may be able to get a Blue Badge if:

  • you cannot walk at all
  • you cannot walk without help from someone else or using mobility aids
  • you find walking very difficult due to pain, breathlessness or the time it takes
  • walking is dangerous to your health and safety
  • you have a terminal illness, which means you cannot walk or find walking very difficult and have a DS1500 form
  • you have a severe disability in both arms and drive regularly, but cannot operate pay-and-display parking machines
  • you have a child under the age of 3 with a medical condition that means the child always needs to be accompanied by bulky medical equipment
  • you have a child under the age of 3 with a medical condition that means the child must always be near a vehicle in case they need emergency medical treatment
  • you are constantly a significant risk to yourself or others near vehicles, in traffic or car parks
  • you struggle severely to plan or follow a journey
  • you find it difficult or impossible to control your actions and lack awareness of the impact you could have on others
  • you regularly have intense and overwhelming responses to situations causing temporary loss of behavioural control
  • you frequently become extremely anxious or fearful of public/open spaces

How to apply

You can apply for a Blue Badge online or by post.

Permits are not automatically renewed. You must re-apply for a new Blue Badge when your current permit is due to expire.

The application process normally takes 12 weeks. It can take longer if an assessment is required.

Apply on GOV.UK

If you prefer, you can download and fill in a print application form. Return paper applications to:

Concessionary Travel Unit
London Borough of Hounslow
Hounslow House, 7 Bath Road

For application or other enquiries, telephone 020 8583 3073 or email the Blue Badge team.

Using your permit

Department for Transport has published guidance on using and displaying your badge, including use of a parking clock in time restricted areas. Read the Blue Badge guide on GOV.UK.

Displaying your permit, and parking clock where necessary, you can park free of charge:

  • in on-street pay-to-park bays
  • in disabled bays (except those designated for specific disabled permit holders)
  • in on-street resident permit or shared use bays
  • at all Hounslow Council managed car parks, in pay-to-park or disabled bays
  • on single or double yellow lines (except where there are yellow kerb stripes) for up to 3 hours
  • on single or double yellow lines for up to 3 hours if there is no prohibition on loading or unloading and the vehicle is not deemed to be causing an obstruction
  • in Hounslow Controlled Parking Zone resident parking bays, shared use or pay-to-park bays for unlimited periods, and any Hounslow Council managed off-street or car park spaces.

You can also register for a 100% congestion charge discount.

If you hold a Blue Badge you may be eligible to apply for a disabled parking bay.

Report a lost or stolen badge

To get a replacement permit, report your lost or stolen Blue Badge online.


It is a criminal offence to misuse a Blue Badge. Doing so could lead to a £1,000 fine and confiscation of the badge. If you see this happening, contact us immediately giving us the vehicle number plate and Blue Badge number, if you can.

To report misuse of a Blue Badge or disabled parking bay, telephone 0800 328 6453 or email

rating button