Household waste

non-recyclableBlack wheeled bin




Your wheelie bin is collected fortnightly and is for materials that cannot be recycled. Please do not use your Black Wheelie Bin for Recyclable items including batteries, Garden or Food Waste.

What can go in your Black Wheelie Bin?

green tick
  • Plastic carrier bags
  • Plastic wrapping and packaging (e.g. crisp packets, plastic bread bags, plastic nappy packaging and any other plastic wrapping)
  • Polystyrene
  • Glass jar lids
  • Nappies, incontinence pads, and all sanitary waste (these need to be wrapped tightly and double-bagged)
  • Empty stoma and colostomy bags (please double-bag these)
  • Broken glass tumblers and similar (but these must be wrapped in newspaper to protect the collection crew)
  • Disposable BBQs. To prevent fires you should take the following action:
    • The BBQ should be doused with water to ensure it has been extinguished.
    • The ash should be placed in a bag.
    • The metal grill and ash should then be added to the black wheelie bin / communal waste bin in flats.
    • The aluminium tray from disposable BBQs can be recycled in the red box.
  • Non-recyclable household waste

What can not go in your Black Wheelie Bin?

red cross

  • Batteries
  • Plastic bottles
  • Cans, tins, foil and aerosols
  • Card and paper
  • Glass jars and bottles
  • Garden Waste
  • Food Waste
  • Window glass, pyrex or similar (these should be taken to your local amenity centre)
  • Small electrical appliances
  • Textiles, clothing and shoes
  • Building material (e.g. rubble, bricks and soil)
  • Material created from construction, demolition, alterations or repair of a home or garden (e.g. chipboard and carpet)
  • Clinical waste (e.g. needles or syringes)
  • Bulky waste (e.g. furniture or large electricals)
  • Liquid waste (e.g. paint or oil)
  • Japanese Knotweed (due to the invasive nature of this plant the movement and disposal of it is restricted by law)

Find your collection day

Bin sizes

Every property is entitled to a 140 litre wheelie bin for their non-recyclable household waste. Please note that the bins remain property of the Council at all times.

Households who cannot manage with the standard bin may apply for a larger 240 litre bin here.

If your property is unsuitable for a wheelie bin, you can present your waste in black sacks . You can put out a maximum of three black sacks (which is the same amount as a standard 140 litre black wheelie bin) for collection every fortnight.

Damaged bin

If your bin is damaged during collection, please let us know as soon as possible so repairs or replacement can be arranged.

Assisted collections

If you have difficulty using the wheelie bin please contact us, we may be able to offer an assisted collection for you. Please call 020 8583 5555 or email for more information.

What happens to my non-recyclable household waste?

Your household waste is taken to an Energy from Waste plant where it is burnt to produce electricity and provide power.

Alternative services

You can take your Recycling and Household / Garden Waste free of charge to Space Waye Reuse and Recycling Centre. If Space Waye is closed, there are alternative re-use and recycling sites available in West London.

rating button