House/ street naming and numbering

If you're a homeowner or property developer, you can apply for house numbers/ names and street names.

How to apply

Online application


  • property naming/numbering £101 per individual unit.

  • street naming £255 a street.

How to pay


Make your cheque payable to London Borough of Hounslow. Send it to the address below.

Pay by invoice

You can request an invoice from us. The process will take about two weeks.


Street Naming and Numbering 
Policy, Scrutiny and Intelligence
London Borough Of Hounslow
Hounslow House (2nd Floor)
7 Bath Road

Telephone 020 8583 2584

Email the street name and numbering team 

House naming/ numbering

If you're developing a property

Whether you're converting a small property into flats or building a new residential development, you'll need to apply for new names/ numbers.

View and download an application

If you're a resident and own your house

If your house has a number can apply to give it a name.

View and download an application

Though officially named, your house will still appear as a number on address searches.

Why you need an official house name/ number

When you apply, we'll first contact the Post Office and the emergency services about your application.

This is to make sure:

  • emergency services can find your property
  • you meet legal requirements
  • you're given an official post code by Royal Mail so you or your residents can receive post
  • utility services like electricity or broadband can be connected

After that you'll be registered with:

  • Land Registry Valuation Office
  • Council Tax
  • voter registration
  • credit rating

After you've got planning permission

If you needed planning permission for your development, you'll still have to apply for house names/ numbers separately. New numbers/ names will usually allocated when building actually starts.

View and download an application


Postcodes are allocated by Royal Mail. You don't need to contact them. We'll do that for you. However you must let us know the date Royal Mail should activate your new address.

Street names

If you create a new street for your development, you'll need to apply for a new street name.

You can chose from the following:

  • Road/ Street - for any thoroughfare
  • Way - for major roads
  • Avenue/ Drive/ Grove/Lane - for residential roads
  • Gardens/ Place - subject to there being no confusion with any local open space
  • Crescent - for a crescent shaped road
  • Close - for a cul-de-sac only
  • Square - for a square
  • Hill - for a hillside road only
  • Circus - for a large roundabout
  • Mews - provided it does not repeat the name of the road from which access is gained
  • Vale/ Rise/ Row Mead/ Wharf - for residential roads. Only in exceptional circumstances

Unacceptable suffixes for new streets

  • end, court, cross, side, view, walk, park, meadow, gate or common.
  • no street name can start with The.

Offensive names won't be considered.

Building names

  • House, court, lodge, apartments, mansions (residential only)
  • Point (high block residential)
  • Tower/ heights (high blocks offices or residential)

Naming consultations

Before you can get your development's street or building name authorised, your application will need to go through a consultation process.

  • Part one: consulting name suitability with Royal Mail, emergency services and local ward councillors.
  • Part two: public notices are published visibly for a month for feedback and consultation.

Timescales for applications

  • numbering/ naming houses takes one month
  • naming buildings/ streets takes three months

(Though some more complex applications may vary)

rating button