Free Cycle Training
1 to 1 Adult Cycle Training
Bikeability Level 3 only
This one to one session is designed to train competent riders on difficult junctions, traffic lights and roundabout.
Please refer back to our weekly Group sessions if you’re a complete beginner that would like to start cycling or need to gain confidence on-road (see www.bikeworks.org.uk/hounslow for our weekly schedule).
- Book up 1 free 2-hour sessions
- You must be 16 years of age or above
- Session delivered on a 1 rider to 1 instructor ratio
- Bikes and helmets available to borrow free of charge
- Refundable booking charge of a £5 deposit
- Lampton Park Cycling Hub in Lampton Park, Bulstrode Avenue entrance, TW3 4LD. Cycles available to borrow.
- Hanworth Cycling Hub in Hanworth Air Park Leisure Centre & Library, Feltham TW13 5EG. Cycles available to borrow.
- Flexible Location - Our instructors can arrange to meet you at a preferred site in Hounslow, which they consider appropriate for cycle training. Cycles not available to borrow.
Adult Group Cycle Training
Build confidence to cycle as a group with our Group cycle training sessions. Our qualified instructors will show you how to cycle as a group in a park and Hounslow's quiet roads. Training is suitable for begineers, as well as regular cyclists looking to brush up on advanced skills, cycle as a group and meet like minded people.
Every Tuesday at Convent Way
Every Thursday at Osterley Park
Every Saturday at Lampton Park
Every Saturday at Hanworth Park
No need to book, first come first serve basis. Our instructors will register you on arrival. Don’t be late as spaces are limited!
Children's Cycle Training
Our children's cycle training courses follow the National Standard Bikeability Training (the new Cycling Proficiency). Free Bikeability Level 1 & 2 cycle training is offered to your child when they are in Year 6. This is typically booked via your child’s primary school. If your child missed out on cycle training in school, we also offer cycle training courses during school holidays. Please see details of the latest courses below. We typically run Lean to Ride and Bikeability Level 1 & 2 sessions. Please note, for these holiday courses there is usually a small subsidised cost.
There are different cycling courses available based on your child’s ability and age. Levels explained below:
- Learn to Ride – Suitable for children who cannot ride a bike. This course will develop balance, improve co-ordination, gain confidence and how to ride safely. Takes place off-road with an experienced instructor.
- Level 1 & 2 – Suitable for children 9 years +. Children must be able to cycle for this course. It develops children’s handling and control of the bike, boosts confidence and refines skills at their own pace. Riders will then be taken onto quiet roads and simple junctions, to develop rider’s skills and confidence on road, preparing them for cycling on more complex, busier roads.
- Level 3 – Suitable for children 11 year +. Children must be able to cycle confidently for this training. Riders will develop skills for more challenging road and traffic situations; busier streets and multi-lane traffic, complex junctions and roundabouts, queuing traffic, as well as planning a bespoke safe route to school/home.
New Summer Holiday Learn To Ride sessions:
We are currently hosting free Learn to Ride sessions throughout the Easter Half Term at both, Hanworth and Osterley Park. These sessions will run from Wednesday the 3rd of August till Thursday the 25th of August. For more information and to make a booking for these courses, please click this link.
For more information on children's courses, and to be added onto our waiting list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trying to teach your child how to ride a bike? HSBC's Ready Set Ride is a useful interactive website and mobile app to help parents teach their children how to ride a bike through fun games and activities. Watch their video guides
Hanworth Walking & Cycling Activities for Young People
Run by Sustrans to deliver walking and cycling activities from Hanworth Park Cycling Hub which will support the physical and mental wellbeing and offer young people to gain skills for employment. As part of the project we will be looking to hire a local young person as a project assistant. Over the summer programme Sustrans will be delivering the following activities as well as training and mentoring young people to support with the delivery of these activities:
- Dr Bikes – Drop in sessions were people can have simple faults on their bikes fixed free of charge
- Bike Rides
- Mindfulness walks
- Learn to cycle and cycle skills sessions
- Bulb planting walks
- Disco and Smoothie Bike Sessions
Book onto one of these sessions, please go to: https://sustrans-hanworth.eventbrite.co.uk
TfL's Free Online Cycle Skills Course
Whether you're new to cycling or just want to brush up on your skills, TfL's free online Cycle Skills course provides easy to follow tips and advice to get you going. There are four short modules to try. And if you complete all four modules, you'll receive a unique 15% discount code so you can save on Halfords own-brand cycle lights, locks and helmets.
- Tips to get you and your cycle prepared for the road
- How to start cycling on the road safely and responsibly
- Tips to brush up on your cycling skills
- How to cycle in a group with children or adults
What are you waiting for? register now