Advice and support if you are facing homelessness

We can offer advice and specialist support depending on your circumstances.

If you are homeless and over 18 you can request immediate assistance.

On this page:

If you are experiencing domestic abuse

Read our guidance on how to get help, including emergency housing.

If you have mental health issues 

Read our mental health support guidance.

Our Adult Locality Mental Health Team can also hep if you are homeless or at risk of being homeless and have mental health issues.

Support is also available from Look Ahead, who work with the NHS to help people with mental health issues live independently.  

If you are over 55 and experiencing feeling of loneliness, isolation or other mental health issues, you can contact The Silver Line on 0800 470 8090. 

If you are leaving hospital and have nowhere to stay

While you are still in hospital, let a member of staff know that you are being discharged and facing homelessness, or cannot return to your property.

The hospital staff will refer you to our housing team. When the referral reaches us, we will complete an assessment with you. This can take place at the hospital.

We will advise and support you to find alternative accommodation.    

Other information and support 

ARC Hounslow is a free and confidential service for people dealing with substance misuse who live in the borough of Hounslow. They offer a range of services including allocating you a support worker who can help you with housing when leaving hospital.  

P3 (People, Potential, Possibilities) helps people to deal with social exclusion and homelessness by providing services aimed at people with mental health conditions and learning difficulties.  

Every Mind Matters provides practical and simple advice to help get a healthier mind.  

WithYou can help you get free, confidential support with alcohol, drugs or mental health.  

Talk to Frank offers a free 24-hour confidential drugs information and advice line on 0300 123 6600.  

Help for care leavers and young people 

When you leave care, we may be able to help you with housing depending on your circumstances.  

This includes help with independent living, specialist accommodation, shared accommodation and supported lodgings. 

If you are under 18 years old and homeless or at risk of being homeless, we can help you through Children’s Social Services.  

If you are between 18 and 25 and homeless or at risk of being homeless, you can get help through: 

  • Look Ahead, a housing advice service for young people, providing information on low cost rental accommodation through supported housing  
  • Universal Credit, which includes help with housing costs 

Support groups for care leavers  

Coram Voice supports young people with their care, including housing issues. You can call them on 080 8800 5792 or email 

Just for Kids Law has solicitors who can help young people facing difficulties at school and with mental health, immigration, criminal justice issues, benefits and homelessness. You can call them on 020 3174 2279 or email 

The Rees Foundation can help people leaving care with housing. Call them on 0330 094 5645 or email 

If you are an older person at risk of being homeless

There are a few options available to you. 

Getting support in your own home 

If you are having difficulty managing at home, you can contact Adult Social Care older people’s services. They can offer support services, like helping with washing, dressing and hot meals.  

If you are a council tenant, you can think about downsizing to reduce the cost of running your home so it is more manageable.   

If you can no longer live at home 

Help is available through: 

Apply for sheltered housing or older person dwellings through the council's housing register

Housing support for refugees and asylum seekers 

If you have applied for asylum to stay in the UK as a refugee, you may get housing support from the UK government while you wait for a decision. 

If asylum is granted 

You will normally be given at least 28 days to leave your government provided accommodation. After this period, you will be homeless.  

We can support you if you are a refugee and want to live in Hounslow. You can let us know if you are or may become homeless. You will need: 

  • your Home Office letter showing your immigration status  
  • proof of your address and eviction (accommodation provided by the Home Office)  
  • your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) if you have one  
  • any evidence you have of medical difficulties or disabilities, or things that will affect your housing needs  

We will provide you with accommodation if: 

  • asylum has been granted to you 
  • you are in priority need for housing because you are pregnant, have a dependent child or children under 18 years old, or have a serious medical condition

If you qualify for emergency housing, we may place you in: 

  • a homeless hostel 
  • bed and breakfast accommodation 
  • a self-contained property  

We will consider your circumstances and how far you have to travel for work, school and caring responsibilities. Accommodation may be outside Hounslow if we have a shortage of properties.   

You can also contact London Friend on 020 7833 1674 or email They offer specific services for LGBTQ+ asylum seekers and refugees including support with housing. 

If your asylum application is refused 

You can still apply for short-term housing support

If your work or student visa has expired

There is limited support available if you are homeless.  

If you have children under the age of 18, our Children's Social Services may be able to offer support. We will conduct a human rights and needs assessment to determine the level of assistance we can provide to you.  

For older people, you can contact the Hillingdon branch of the Law Centres Network for advice on housing and visa status. They are available from Monday to Friday, 10am to 5pm on 0208 561 9400 or   

You can also speak to the Citizen's Advice Bureau on 0808 278 7830, about the housing options available to you if you are in the UK illegally or if you are waiting for a decision on a visa extension.  

Renting and private housing for visa applicants 

You have no right to rent or live in any form of private accommodation in the UK if your visa has expired. Landlords in England have to check the immigration status of new tenants. 

You may be able to rent or live in private housing if you are: 

  • waiting for decision on your visa extension 
  • a citizen of the UK, the European Economic Area or Switzerland
  • an individual with indefinite leave to remain or right of abode in the UK  
  • an Individual with limited leave to remain in the UK or a right to live in the UK under EU law   

If you are on a spouse or partner visa  

You cannot usually get homeless help as your partner is expected to provide you with a home for your first five years living in the UK. 

Read our guidance if you are leaving your home because you are experiencing domestic abuse

Where to live after leaving prison 

On leaving prison, you can tell the prison or your probation officer to refer you to us if you are:  

  • homeless or likely to become homeless within the next 8 weeks
  • being released within the next 8 weeks without suitable accommodation options
  • currently residing in probation or bail accommodation with no future accommodation arrangements 

We will assess your housing needs and create a personalised plan tailored to your circumstances.  

If you have a low income or none at all

You may qualify for Universal Credit to help cover the cost of your new rented home.  

You may also qualify for benefit to pay the rent for your current home, if you have been: 

  • remanded in custody until a sentencing or trial date 
  • sent to prison   
  • given a home detention curfew   

However, eligibility is subject to the following conditions: 

  • If sentenced, you may receive housing benefit for up to 13 weeks.  
  • If remanded in custody, you may be eligible for housing benefit for up to 52 weeks.   

Other support 

PLIAS Resettlement specialises in helping offenders and ex-offenders to reintegrate into society. You can call them on 0208 838 6800. 

St Giles Trust provides a wide range of support services, including mentoring, assistance with housing and maintaining connections with your family. You can call them on 0207 708 8000.  


rating button