Marriage and civil partnerships


Book your appointments online!

We've launched a new online system to allow you to book an appointment to register a Birth, Death, Stillbirth, Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership.  Read more about the changes.

Book your appointment 


Coronavirus update

Due to the demand, there is a considerable wait time for appointments. Please factor this in when booking your ceremony so that you will be able to give your notices within the statutory timeframe.     

 All new bookings will be subject to availability later in the year.  We would like to thank you in advance for your co-operation and patience.


Ceremonies at Feltham Lodge

Marriages and Civil Partnerships can take place with no legal limit of attendees. However, we are still taking reasonable steps to reduce the risks of transmission and maintaining a safe working environment.  

At Feltham Lodge, all ceremonies will take place in the Garden Room which is our largest room. 

The capacity for the Garden room is the couple, their two witnesses, one photographer and 14 guests. We are recommending visitors still wear masks and hand santise on arrival. 

If you have booked an approved venue for your ceremony, please check the numbers they can accommodate.


Outdoor Ceremonies

Government has  announced its plan to legalise outdoor civil marriages and civil partnerships in England and Wales for the first time.  The changes are being introduced via amendments to the Marriages and Civil Partnerships (Approved Premises) Regulations 2005 to allow legal outdoor civil marriages and civil partnership registrations to take place within the grounds of approved premises. The regulations will come into force on 1 July 2021 until April 2022. 

Approved venues will be able to conduct proceedings for marriage and civil partnership registration in the room or rooms inside the built structure for which approval has been given, and also in any outdoor areas within the boundary of the land on which the built structure stands.

Other land which may be owned by the Approved Premises but which is not the grounds in which the built structure stands cannot be used for legal civil marriages or civil partnership registrations.

The number of guests who can attend will depend on how many people the venue or space can safely accommodate with social distancing measures in place.  This will be based on the Covid-19 risk assessment of the venue or outdoor space, and the measures put in place to limit the spread of Covid-19. Venues should also consider contingency arrangements if guests need to move inside the premises due to inclement weather.

Venues will be under no obligation to offer outdoor proceedings if they do not wish to do so. 

Please discuss with your venue whether they can accommodate outside ceremonies.


New Legislation for EU Nationals

If you are a EU passport holder from 1 July 2021 you’ll also need to bring confirmation of either:

  • Your settled or pre-settled status – you will need to bring a ‘share code’ which you can get from the ‘view and prove your immigration status’ service  which will be valid for 30 days

            Please do not email the share code to us, just have it with you on the day of your appointnment.

  • an application to the EU settlement scheme you made on or before 30 June 2021, which you are waiting for a decision on – you will need to bring your certificate of application


From 4th May new marriage legislation means that the way a marriage is registered in England and Wales will change.

You will no longer sign a marriage register or be given a Marriage Certificate during the ceremony, instead you will sign a marriage schedule. This is a one page document which contains the details of both people getting married which are needed to register a marriage.

The Marriage Schedule will be provided by the Superintendent Registrar in the registration district of your marriage and will contain alll the details required to complete a marriage registration.

From this date, in addition to your father's details, other parents' details will be able to be recorded (i.e. mother, step-parent).

Each person will still be required to give notice of marriage and the marriage ceremony will remain the same, it is only the way in which a marriage is registered that will change.

The paper marriage register will no longer be used; instead a central electronic registration system will become the legal register. The change in lae means that the details of your marriage will be recorded on a Marriage Schedule. It is from this document that your marriage registration will be created. 

Marriage Certificates

A marriage certificate will only be issued after the details have been entered on to the electronic marriage register. This means you will not be able to obtain a marriage certificate on the day of your marriage. This applies whether you marry in a civil or religious ceremony. Your marriage details will be entered onto the electronic registration register within 7 days of your signed Marriage Schedule being received at the register office, in the area where you got married.  


Before booking your appointment to give notice, please read the following, as it is your responsibility to ensure that the legal formalities below have been met.

You must both attend the register office in the district in which you live to inform the Registrar of your intention to marry or enter into a civil partnership. This is called 'Giving Notice'. This means declaring you are both free to marry each other; you will be required to provide certain documents.

Where either party is a foreign, EEA or Swiss national, without a relevant visa for marriage/civil partnership or pre or settle status, you may be subject to immigration control. The Home Office will investigate sham marriages and civil partnerships. You must attend the register office together to give your notice of marriage or civil partnership.

If you are a relevant national i.e. British, Irish or a person been granted EU settlement status (either settled, presettled or has a pending applicationsubmitted before 30th June 2021) you must give your notices of marriage or civil partnership to the superintendent registrar for the district(s) in which you have lived for the proceeding 9 days immediately prior to giving your notices. Without attesting the legal preliminaries your ceremony cannot go ahead. 

You must must be over 18 years (or consent of parent/s/guardian if 16 to 18 years), not related to each other within the prohibited degrees of relationship and not in an existing marriage or civil partnership.

The notices are displayed for 28 days in the Register Office for any legal objections that anyone may want to raise. After this time, if there are no objections, you’ll be given a document called a 'marriage schedule'.

Know the venue for marriage/civil partnership.

The notice is valid for one year.

Getting married

If you wish to marry in England or Wales you may do so either by civil or religious ceremony.

Civil ceremony

A civil ceremony can take place at any register office or other approved premises in England or Wales.
For a marriage or civil partnership in an approved premises, you will need to:

  • contact the venue to ensure availability
  • contact the register office to confirm if a registrar is available to attend your venue
  • give formal notice of marriage/civil partnership to the superintendent registrar of the districts where you live

There is a fee payable for a registrar to attend your marriage or civil partnership at an approved premises.

Ceremonies at Feltham Lodge

Feltham Lodge photo gallery

Religious ceremony

If you wish to be married in an Anglican church you will need to speak to the vicar of the church to arrange your ceremony date and time; they will also be able to advise you of the process and costs involved. You do not usually need to give notice of marriage at a register office if you are getting married in an Anglican church if both you and your partner are British or European nationals with settled or pre-settled status.


Other places of religious worship

If you wish to marry by a religious ceremony other than the Church of England or Wales you should arrange to see the minister or person in charge of marriage ceremonies in that building. However, the church or religious building in question must normally be in the registration district where you or your partner live or be your usual place of worship.

Some religious buildings have an authorised person who is responsible for registering marriages there. However, if the building where you are marrying does not have an authorised person or that person is not available, you will need to book a registrar to attend and register the marriage instead. 

If you require a registrar to register your marriage, please contact us as soon as possible to book their attendance.

You will also have to give a formal notice of marriage/civil partenship to the superintendent registrar in the districts where you live.

GOV.UK hold a full list of all licensed marriage and civil partnership venues across England and Wales. Enter your post code to view the venues.

Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership

To give notice of a marriage or civil partnership you must:

  • have both lived for at least 9 consecutive days at a UK address
  • both give separate notices even if you live at the same address
  • wait at least 28/70 days following your notice before the marriage/civil partnership can take place. The waiting period is assessed on the individual persons Immigration status. You may be subject to the Home Office Referral and Investigation Scheme if you do not have a relevant visa for marriage/civil partnership or idenfinate leave to remain or settled or pre settled status. This was introduced in March 2015 to tackle sham marriages and civil partnerships. More information can be found on GOV.UK
  • a  notice is only valid for 12 months once issued, so your ceremony must take place within 1 year of the date you give notice
  • know the venue for marriage/civil partnership

When you attend to give your notices you will need to bring your documents:

1. ID documents - originals only

  • A valid passport
  • a passport sized photo each - (if you are both British nationals or EU nationals with settled or presettled status you will not have to bring a photograph)

If you are a EU passport holder from 1 July 2021 you’ll also need to bring confirmation of either:

  • Your settled or pre-settled status – you will need to bring a ‘share code’ which you can get from the ‘view and prove your immigration status’ service  which will be valid for 30 days.

            Please do not email the share code to us, just have it with you on the day of your appointnment.

  • an application to the EU settlement scheme you made on or before 30 June 2021, which you are waiting for a decision on – you will need to bring your certificate of application


You will have to state where the marriage/civil partnership is to take place and provide us with full name and address of your chosen venue. The notice is valid for the venue stated for 1 year. 

If you do not hold a valid UK passport, you may provide your full/standard UK birth certificate with one of the following documents as proof of your current use of name:

  •   utility bill (Gas, Electricity or Water) dated no more than three months of giving notice
  •   bank/building society statement dated no more than one month of giving notice
  •   current council tax bill dated no more than 12 months of giving notice
  •   mortgage statement dated within 12 months of giving notice
  •   a current residential tenancy agreement
  •   valid UK photo driving licence.

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983, your full birth certificate must be produced, together with the full UK birth certificate of your mother, or father where your parents are or have been married to each other, to prove your nationality. If father's birth certificate to be shown, you would also have to provide an original copy of the marriage certificate. If mother is unmarried, mothers full birth certificate.

If you have a certificate of naturalisation or registration from the Home Office confirming you are a British national, you should produce this with one of the documents listed above.
If you are currently using a different name to that shown on your birth certificate, certificate of naturalisation or registration from the Home Office, you will need to demonstrate your name change by providing your marriage/civil partnership certificate(s) or change of name document.

2. Proof of address: one of the following – originals only

  • recent bank statement (no older than one month at the time of your appointment)
  • photo driving licence (valid and registered at your current address)
  • Council Tax Demand (current year)
  • utility bill (Gas, Electricity or Water) for services received at the property (no more than three months old)
  • current residential tenancy agreement

3. If either party has previously married or entered into a civil partnership in the UK or any other country the following will be required:

  • divorce documents / dissolution papers bearing the court’s original stamp
  • if the divorce / dissolution papers are not in English, you must provide a translation in addition to the original documents
  • Your previous marriage/civil partnership certificate(s) where your current name does not appear on the decree absolute, final order or death certificate.
  • Foreign divorce documents - Divorce documents issued outside the British Isles are subject to an additional fee for consideration. The fees are payable at the time of giving the notice of marriage/intent appointment. £50.00 - £75.00 Please note the statutory fees are for consideration of a foreign divorce and not the outcome.

Photocopies are not acceptable.

If your previous spouse or civil partner died you will need to bring an original death certificate and marriage / civil partnership certificate (if your current name does not appear on the death certificate).

Other documents may be required depending on the circumstances
For example any change of name documents such as a deed poll. A consent form, issued by the superintendent registrar of the district of where the notice is to be given of parents to a marriage or civil partnership where one of the couple is under the age of 18 years

Fees: the current statutory fee payable for giving notice of marriage / intent fee is £35.00 or £47.00 per person depending on immigration status.

Weddings abroad

If you wish to marry abroad according to the laws of that country, you must ensure that you find out and follow the regulations. To marry in another country, there may be minimum residency requirements and this should be built into the overall length of your stay. Most countries will need to see certain documents; your travel agent or embassy will be able to tell you which are required.

In some cases you will be asked for a certificate of no impediment. This can be obtained by giving notice to your local Register Office and you must give up to 28 clear days’ notice before the certificate can be issued. Although there is no expiry date printed on these authorities, different countries have their own rules and the certificate may only be valid for a three month period from the date of giving notice.

More information about getting married abroad

Notices of marriage are by appointment only


Notices of marriage are attested on:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9am - 3.30pm.
Wednesday 9am - 12.30pm

Contact us


Telephone: 020 8583 2090

Hounslow Register Office
Feltham Lodge
38-40 Harlington Road West
TW14 0JJ

When using a sat nav, house number must be used with postcode to locate us.

Feltham lodge map


Opening hours:

  • Monday - 9am - 4.30pm
  • Tuesday - 9am - 4.30pm
  • Wednesday - 9am - 1pm -closed in the afternoon
  • Thursday - 9am - 4.30pm
  • Friday - 9am - 4.30pm

External link

Marriages and civil partnerships GOV.UK

rating button