Local councils are required to make suitable free travel arrangements for eligible children to enable them to attend school.
Within the London area pupils under the age of 19 in full time education are entitled to free travel on buses operated by Transport for London (TfL). Hounslow considers that this is sufficient to meet the travel needs of most children and young people.
Our School Travel Assistance policies set out the arrangements for meeting our statutory duty for eligible children and young people.
Eligibility for children aged 5-16
An ‘eligible’ child/young person is defined as one to whom at least one of the following criteria applies:
- a child/young person with special educational needs, who has a disability or mobility problem, who lives within;
- the walking distance, but cannot be expected to walk because of the nature of their SEN or their disability;
- a child/young person who cannot be expected to walk because of the nature of his/her route;
- a child beyond the walking distance (2 miles for pupils below the age of 8 and 3 miles for those aged 8 and over) who is without suitable alternative arrangements;
- a child between 8 years and 11 years in a low–income family living more than 2miles from their preferred suitable school; or
- a young person in a low-income family living between 2 to 6 miles from his/her suitable secondary school
Eligibility for young people aged 16-19
Eligibility for assistance will depend upon but not be limited to:
- distance travelled
- establishment and the course being attended
- the availability of alternative resources
General principles of the policy
We operate a travel assistance service which aims to meet the needs of children and young people in an efficient, safe, and cost effective way.
We will use the school travel assistance policy criteria to decide whether the child/young person may be entitled to borough provided travel assistance.
All cases will be considered on their individual merits and in exceptional circumstances variations to the criteria may be applied.
When making a decision we will assess:
- the individual pupil or young person's specific needs
- the parents/carers' legal responsibility to bring about the attendance of the pupil at school
- the suitability of the school, as defined in the guidance
- our overall duty to ensure an efficient use of its resources
Telephone: 020 8583 4177
Special Educational Needs
Children's and Adults’ Services
London Borough of Hounslow