Find out what type of building regulations you need to apply for
- If you’re a homeowner considering works like loft conversions/ extensions/ and extensions and how to apply.
- If you’re a housing developer
- If you’re a commercial developer
Which type of regulations to apply for
Usually used for major works like
- for new buildings
- for extensions, alterations to your building
- if your building use is changing
You need to send full plans of the work you’re planning.
Usually used for more minor works like
- chimney breast removal
- recovering of roofs
- installing a new bathroom
- converting your garage to a room
- forming a through lounge
- replacing windows
You don’t need to send plans with your application.
Though we may ask for more information later, you will be able to start work after a period of 48 hours after giving notice.
This is where you make a retrospective application for work that’s been done in the past, but was not approved by us.
You can apply for a regularisation certificate for any unauthorised works started anytime from 11 November 1985.
Before you get a certificate saying requirements have been met, we may need to visit the site and make tests.
Building over/ near sewers
You’ll need to contact Thames water
Telephone 0845 850 2777
Telephone 020 8583 5454