What type of building control to apply for

Find out what type of building regulations you need to apply for

Which type of regulations to apply for

Full plans

Usually used for major works like

  • for new buildings
  • for extensions, alterations to your building
  • if your building use is changing

You need to send full plans of the work you’re planning.

Apply for full plans regulations

Building notice

Usually used for more minor works like

  • chimney breast removal
  • recovering of roofs
  • installing a new bathroom
  • converting your garage to a room
  • forming a through lounge
  • replacing windows

You don’t need to send plans with your application.

Though we may ask for more information later, you will be able to start work after a period of 48 hours after giving notice.

Apply for building notice


This is where you make a retrospective application for work that’s been done in the past, but was not approved by us.

You can apply for a regularisation certificate for any unauthorised works started anytime from 11 November 1985.

Before you get a certificate saying requirements have been met, we may need to visit the site and make tests.

Apply for regularisation 

Building over/ near sewers

You’ll need to contact Thames water

Telephone 0845 850 2777

Email buildovers@thameswater.co.uk

Contact us

Telephone 020 8583 5454
Email buildingcontrol@hounslow.gov.uk

rating button