Do you qualify for a discount?

The full council tax bill assumes that there are at least two adults living in a dwelling. If only one adult lives in a dwelling the council tax will normally be reduced by 25%. 

There are also discounts for people who have a severe cognitive disorder, and for full-time students. A student must be undertaking a course of at least 21 hours per week for a minimum of 24 weeks a year

To apply for any of the above you will need to register or log in to your Council Tax account using your Council Tax account number and online key, which is shown on the front of your last council tax bill.

Apply for a Council Tax discount

If you don’t have access to a PC or the Internet, you can use one of our free access PC’s located at any library or in our main Customer Service Centre at Hounslow House, where we also have staff on hand to help.

A number of other types of occupiers will not pay council tax.

These include:

  • patients resident in hospital
  • people who are being looked after in care homes
  • people staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • 18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
  • care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
  • people caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner, or child under 18
  • members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • members of religious communities
  • people in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of council tax or a fine) 
  • students with a non-British spouse or dependant(s)

For more information on these discounts and what evidence/proof you need to provide please visit 

Apply for one of the discounts listed above 

A property that is not occupied may also receive a discount.  

Please visit the Council Tax for Empty Properties page for further details. 

We carry out regular reviews to make sure you're still entitled to a discount and we will send you a link to an online form to complete.

If you do not complete the form, your discount may be removed and a new bill issued to you for the full amount.

Please note: for some applications you may need to attach additional information. 

Upload your evidence here

If your bill indicates that a discount has been allowed, you must inform us straightaway of any changes in your circumstances that may affect your entitlement to the discount.

rating button