Council Tax appeals

Council Tax band appeals

In certain circumstances you can appeal against the band that your property is in.

These include;

  • where you believe that the banding should be changed because there has been a material increase or material reduction (this is explained below)
  • where you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes
  • where the Listing officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by the taxpayer
  • where you become the taxpayer in respect of a dwelling for the first time. (Your appeal must be made within six months, but if the same appeal has already been considered and determined by a Valuation Tribunal, it cannot be made again).

Material increase or reduction

A material increase in value may result from building, engineering or other work carried out on the dwelling. In these cases, revaluation does not take place until after a sale, so the person appealing would usually be the new owner or resident.

A material reduction in value may result from the demolition of any part of the dwelling, any change in the physical state of the local area or an adaptation to the dwelling suitable for use by someone with a physical disability. In these cases revaluation should take place as soon as possible.

You can check the banding of any property, on the Valuation Office Agency website.

To appeal against your banding, please complete the online enquiry form.

Email the Valuation Office Agency

Telephone: 03000 501 501

rating button