Council Tax appeals

Council Tax payment appeals

You can lodge an appeal if:

  • you don’t agree that you are the person liable to pay council tax
  • you think your property should be exempt from council tax
  • you think you should be entitled to a disability reduction
  • you think you should be entitled to a personal discount.

You need to make your appeal in writing to our council tax customer services team explaining the grounds of your appeal. Your appeal should be supported by any relevant evidence or documentation.

Contact us 

You must continue to pay Council Tax whilst your appeal is being considered. If your appeal is successful, you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid Council Tax.

If your not satisfied with the outcome of your appeal or have not received a reply within a month, you can appeal by raising the issue with the Valuation Office Agency's tribunal service.

Your case will be decided by tribunals that are independent from us and the Valuation Office Agency. Their decisions are normally final but you can appeal to the High Court on a point of law.
The tribunal will contact you to arrange a date for a free hearing but if both parties agree, your case can be dealt with in writing.

rating button