The disabled freedom pass allows you to travel for free on buses, trains, trams, DLR and even Thames river services.
You must be over five years of age and a permanent resident in the London Borough of Hounslow
You will qualify without the need for an assessment if you receive one of the following benefits:-
- The Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance. (Dated within the last 3 months)
- Personal Independence Payments (PIP) – providing you have been awarded 8 points or more for the ‘Moving around’ category of the Mobility Component.
- The War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement.
- A lump sum benefit at tariffs 1-8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS
The statutory disabilities which make someone eligible for a disabled persons Freedom Pass are:
- People who are blind or partially sighted
- People who are profoundly or severely deaf
- People without speech
- People who have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has left them with a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk
- People who do not have arms or have a long-term loss of the use of both arms
- People who have a learning disability that is defined as 'a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning'
- People who, if they applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, would have their application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.
How to apply
You simply need to complete an application form and send it back with the required information.
- Download, print, and post disabled persons freedom pass application form here or you can pick up a copy of the form at Hounslow House.
- proof of name, age and address
- passport-sized photo
When you can use your pass
- In London: free anytime on any tube, bus or tram services in London.
- National Rail: free (inside London) between 9.30am and 4.30am the following morning (weekdays), and anytime during the weekends and public holidays.
- Thames river services: half price fare after 9am Monday to Friday. Half price all day weekends and public holidays.
To find out which routes Freedom Pass holders can travel free for 24 hours download the Freedom Pass travel map for the whole of London
Find out more by visiting the London Councils website.
The freedom pass is free to apply for and free to use. If you travel outside of Greater London, you may have to pay extra costs.
Holders of Senior and Disabled Persons Railcards may be able to obtain a discount on the price of extension tickets.
Lost/ stolen cards
A replacement card costs £12. If your card was stolen and you have a crime reference number, it'll be replaced for free.
Telephone 0300 330 1433 to get a replacement pass
Contact us or change your details/ address
If you've moved house, or your details have changed.
Telephone 020 8583 3073
You can read more information on the London Councils website
AccessAble (formerly DisabledGo) - access information for facilities and venues in Hounslow
Dial-a-ride - free bookable transport scheme
Shopmobility - Hounslow Community Transport