Disabled persons Freedom Pass

A Freedom Pass allows free travel on London buses, trains, trams, DLR and river services, and free local bus journeys nationally.

Who can apply

You must be over 5 years old and a permanent resident in the London borough of Hounslow to get a disabled person's Freedom Pass.

You will qualify without the need for assessment if you receive one of the following benefits:

  • the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (dated within the last 3 months)
  • Personal Independence Payments (PIP), providing you have been awarded 8 points or more for the 'Moving around' category of the Mobility Component.
  • War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement.
  • a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS)

You are eligible to apply if you:

  • are blind or partially sighted
  • are profoundly or severely deaf
  • are without speech
  • have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has left them with a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk
  • do not have arms or have a long term loss of the use of both arms
  • have a learning disability that is defined as 'a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning'
  • would have an application for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988 refused, pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

How to apply

Download an application form and return the completed form to us with the required information. If you prefer, you can pick up a paper form from Hounslow House.

When you apply, you will need to provide:

  • evidence of eligibility
  • proof of name, age and address
  • 2 passport size colour photos

Download application form

Send your completed form and documents by email to freedom.pass@hounslow.gov.uk, or by post to:

Concessionary Transport Unit
Hounslow House,
7 Bath Road,

Using your pass

The Freedom Pass is free to apply for and free to use. You can use your pass in London:

  • for free tube, bus or tram travel any time
  • for free National Rail services between 9.30am and 4.30am the next morning on weekdays, and any time on weekends and public holidays
  • for half price Thames river services after 9am Monday to Friday and all day on weekends and public holidays

Holders of Senior and Disabled Persons Railcards may be able to obtain a discount on the price of extension tickets.

There may be a charge for using your pass outside of London. Read about using your pass on the London Councils website.

If your card is lost or stolen

You can request a replacement card online from London Councils. There is a fee for replacement cards. Stolen cards will be replaced free of charge if you have a crime reference number.

Request replacement card

If you prefer, you can telephone 0300 330 1433.

Change of address or other details

If you've moved house or any other of your details have changed:

Other information

If you are disabled and find it difficult getting from your car to your destination, you may be able to get a Blue Badge parking permit.

There are other services which provide transport and access to local facilities, including:

  • AccessAble (formerly DisabledGo), for access to facilities and venues
  • Dial-a-ride, a free bookable transport scheme 
  • Shopmobility (Hounslow Community Transport), offering affordable scooters and manual wheelchairs 


rating button