The council's constitution sets out how the council operates, how decisions are made and the procedures which are followed to ensure that these are efficient, transparent and accountable to local people. Some of these processes are required by the law, while others are a matter for us to choose.
The constitution is divided into 17 articles which set out the basic rules governing business.
More detailed procedures and codes of practice are provided in separate rules and protocols at the end of the document:
- Access to Information Procedure Rules
- Budget & Policy Framework Procedure Rules
- Council Procedure Rules
- Dispute Resolution Procedure
- Executive Procedure Rules
- Overview & Scrutiny Procedure Rules
- Members Code of Conduct