Data protection

Information to provide for a SAR request

1. A clear, specific request

The council does not have to start working on a subject access request until you have provided enough information for us to find the personal data.

For example, a request for 'all of the personal data held on me' is not specific enough for us to find your personal data.

The council processes personal information for many reasons, below is a list of the most requested information types:

  • Social care information
  • Housing Benefit files
  • Council Tax Information
  • Employment files

You will need to state which Council departments you have dealt with.

2. Current identification

The council takes great care to ensure that personal data is only disclosed to those who are authorised to access it. For this reason you will need to provide a form of ID from each of the lists below in order to request your personal information.

Examples of acceptable name and photographic identification:

  • Current driver's license
  • Current passport

Examples of acceptable proof of address:

  • Utility bill (excluding mobile phone bill)
  • Bank statement
  • Council tax bill

Address ID, for example, is necessary in order to ensure that your personal data is being posted to the right place. If you would rather pick up your data by hand then please let us know.

3. Charging for requests

The council no longer charges a fee for subject access requests.  

rating button