Coronavirus advice, support and Community Hub

Latest on keeping safe, accessing support and local services

Marriage and civil partnerships


Coronavirus Information

Following advice from Government, all non essential registrations and ceremonial services have been suspended until further notice.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this will cause. The safety of our customers, community and staff is our first priority, and to ensure we are able to continue the essential work of registering deaths during this time.


Before booking your appointment to give notice, please read the following, as it is your responsibility to ensure that the legal formalities below have been met.

You must both attend the register office in the district in which you live to inform the Registrar of your intention to marry or enter into a civil partnership. This is called 'Giving Notice'. This means declaring you are both free to marry each other; you will be required to provide certain documents.

Where you are both British, EEA or Swiss nationals, you are not subject to immigration control, and unless you are marrying in an Anglican church in England or Wales by banns or common licence, you must give your notices of marriage or civil partnership to the superintendent registrar for the district(s) in which you have lived for the proceeding 9 days immediately prior to giving your notices. Without attesting the legal preliminaries your ceremony cannot go ahead.

You must must be over 18 years (or consent of parent/s/guardian if 16 to 18 years), not related to each other within the prohibited degrees of relationship and not in an existing marriage or civil partnership.

The notices are displayed for 28 days in the Register Office for any legal objections that anyone may want to raise. After this time, if there are no objections, you’ll be given a document called a 'marriage authority/schedule'.

Know the venue for marriage/civil partnership.

The notice is valid for one year.

Getting married

If you wish to marry in England or Wales you may do so either by civil or religious ceremony.

Civil ceremony

A civil ceremony can take place at any register office or other approved premises in England or Wales.
For a marriage in an approved premises, you will need to:

  • contact the venue to ensure availability
  • contact the register office to confirm if a registrar is available to attend your venue
  • give formal notice of marriage to the superintendent registrar of the districts where you live

There is a fee payable for a registrar to attend your marriage or civil partnership at an approved premises.

Ceremonies at Feltham Lodge

Religious ceremony

If you wish to be married in an Anglican church you will need to speak to the vicar of the church to arrange your ceremony date and time; they will also be able to advise you of the process and costs involved. You do not usually need to give notice of marriage at a register office if you are getting married in an Anglican church if both you and your partner are British, European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss nationals.

If you or your partner are not British, EEA or Swiss nationals, you will need to give notice of marriage together at a designated register office in England or Wales.

Hounslow is a designated register office. A list of designated register offices can be found on the General Register Office website or the Border and Immigration Agency website.

Other places of religious worship

If you wish to marry by a religious ceremony other than the Church of England or Wales you should arrange to see the minister or person in charge of marriage ceremonies in that building. However, the church or religious building in question must normally be in the registration district where you or your partner live or be your usual place of worship.

Some religious buildings have an authorised person who is responsible for registering marriages there. However, if the building where you are marrying does not have an authorised person or that person is not available, you will need to book a registrar to attend and register the marriage instead. 

If you require a registrar to register your marriage, please contact us as soon as possible to book their attendance.

You will also have to give a formal notice of marriage to the superintendent registrar of the districts where you live.

GOV.UK hold a full list of all licensed marriage and civil partnership venues across England and Wales. Enter your post code to view the venues.

Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership

To give notice of a marriage or civil partnership you must:

  • have both lived for at least 9 consecutive days at a UK address
  • both give separate notices even if you live at the same address
  • wait at least 28/70 days following your notice before the marriage/civil partnership can take place. The waiting period is assessed on the individual persons Immigration status. If either party holds a non EU passport they may be subject to the Home Office Referral and Investigation Scheme. This was introduced in March 2015 to tackle sham marriages and civil partnerships. More information can be found on GOV.UK
  • a  notice is only valid for 12 months once issued, so your ceremony must take place within 1 year of the date you give notice
  • know the venue for marriage/civil partnership

When you attend to give your notices you will need to bring your documents:

1. ID documents - originals only

  • British or EEA passport or valid passport
  • a passport sized photo each - (if either party giving notice is a Non-EU passport holder)

If you do not hold a valid UK passport, you may provide your full/standard UK birth certificate with one of the following documents as proof of your current use of name:

  •   utility bill (Gas, Electricity or Water) dated no more than three months of giving notice
  •   bank/building society statement dated no more than one month of giving notice
  •   current council tax bill dated no more than 12 months of giving notice
  •   mortgage statement dated within 12 months of giving notice
  •   a current residential tenancy agreement
  •   valid UK photo driving licence.

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983, your full birth certificate must be produced, together with the full birth certificate of your mother, or father where your parents are or have been married to each other, to prove your nationality. If father's birth certificate to be shown, you would also have to provide an original copy of the marriage certificate. If mother is unmarried, mothers full birth certificate.

If you have a certificate of naturalisation or registration from the Home Office confirming you are a British national, you should produce this with one of the documents listed above.
If you are currently using a different name to that shown on your birth certificate, certificate of naturalisation or registration from the Home Office, you will need to demonstrate your name change by providing your marriage/civil partnership certificate(s) or change of name document.

2. Proof of address: one of the following – originals only

  • recent bank statement (no older than one month at the time of your appointment)
  • photo driving licence (valid and registered at your current address)
  • Council Tax Demand (current year)
  • utility bill (Gas, Electricity or Water) for services received at the property (no more than three months old)
  • current residential tenancy agreement

3. If either party has previously married or entered into a civil partnership in the UK or any other country the following will be required:

  • divorce documents / dissolution papers bearing the court’s original stamp
  • if the divorce / dissolution papers are not in English, you must provide a translation in addition to the original documents
  • Your previous marriage/civil partnership certificate(s) where your current name does not appear on the decree absolute, final order or death certificate.
  • Foreign divorce documents - Divorce documents issued outside the British Isles are subject to an additional fee for consideration. The fees are payable at the time of giving the notice of marriage/intent appointment. £50.00 - £75.00 Please note the statutory fees are for consideration of a foreign divorce and not the outcome.

Photocopies are not acceptable.

If your previous spouse or civil partner died you will need to bring an original death certificate and marriage / civil partnership certificate (if your current name does not appear on the death certificate).

Other documents may be required depending on the circumstances
For example any change of name documents such as a deed poll. A consent form, issued by the superintendent registrar of the district of where the notice is to be given of parents to a marriage or civil partnership where one of the couple is under the age of 18 years

Fees: the current statutory fee payable for giving notice of marriage / intent fee is £35.00 or £47.00 per person depending on immigration status.

Weddings abroad

If you wish to marry abroad according to the laws of that country, you must ensure that you find out and follow the regulations. To marry in another country, there may be minimum residency requirements and this should be built into the overall length of your stay. Most countries will need to see certain documents; your travel agent or embassy will be able to tell you which are required.

In some cases you will be asked for a certificate of no impediment. This can be obtained by giving notice to your local Register Office and you must give up to 28 clear days’ notice before the certificate can be issued. Although there is no expiry date printed on these authorities, different countries have their own rules and the certificate may only be valid for a three month period from the date of giving notice.

More information about getting married abroad

Notices of marriage are by appointment only

Please telephone 0208 583 2090 

Notices of marriage are attested on:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9am - 3.30pm.
Wednesday 9am - 12.30pm

Contact us


Telephone: 020 8583 2090

Hounslow Register Office
Feltham Lodge
38-40 Harlington Road West
TW14 0JJ

When using a sat nav, house number must be used with postcode to locate us.

Feltham lodge map


Opening hours:

  • Monday - 9am - 4.30pm
  • Tuesday - 9am - 4.30pm
  • Wednesday - 9am - 1pm -closed in the afternoon
  • Thursday - 9am - 4.30pm
  • Friday - 9am - 4.30pm

External link

Marriages and civil partnerships GOV.UK

rating button