Housing enforcement

Privately rented properties

Reporting poor housing conditions and the enforcement process

The Housing Enforcement Team responds to requests for intervention by private tenants whose landlords will not carry out necessary work within their accommodation.  Before referring the case to us, we expect the tenants to write to their landlords or Managing Agent, with details of the problems, giving appropriate time for the works to be carried out. This may also help to avoid a revenge eviction.- more detailed information on Retaliatory eviction. A template of a letter to your landlord can be downloaded here.

If disrepairs are not rectified by your landlord, despite your written request, you may report the case to us. After you have reported your complaint or enquiry, an officer allocated to your case will contact you. They will ask you further questions to help decide how the service should respond and whether inspection of the property is necessary.  It should be noted that; the inspection will not inform or influence any application for re-housing with the Council.

During the inspection, we carry out a health and safety 'risk assessment', this assessment allows us to identify any significant hazards before we decide what action will be taken. Local authorities are advised to take an informal action first, requesting the landlord to carry out necessary repairs. If the informal approach does not bring the expected outcome then formal enforcement action would be considered.

Further details of available enforcement actions can be found in Our Enforcement Policy. Some 'hazards' may be deemed less than significant and we may make you aware of the situations without enforcing any immediate improvement.

Some examples of more serious hazards are listed below:

  • Defective boiler resulting in lack of heating and/or hot water
  • Electrical faults
  • Leak from roof or, ceiling
  • faulty gas and water pipes
  • broken lavatories, sinks ,baths or shower facilities

How to report disrepairs

If you have written to your landlord and they failed to address the repairs please email housing.enforcement@hounslow.gov.uk 

Report your housing query

You need to provide:

  • Your name, address and contact details
  • The nature of your complaint
  • Your landlord and/or Managing Agent  name and contact  details
rating button