Apply for a premises licence

Apply for a premises licence - for businesses who want to sell alcohol on a permanent basis. 

If you want to operate a premises supplying alcohol, entertainments or hot meals between 11am and 5am, you'll need to have a valid alcohol and entertainment licence.

Premises you need a licence for

  • pubs
  • bars
  • restaurants
  • cinemas
  • theatres
  • cafes
  • school and work canteens
  • members clubs
  • venues serving food, drink or providing entertainment

How to apply

To get a licence you need to provide:

  • Plan of the premises;
  • Consent form completed by the nominated Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) - required for applications that include the sale of alcohol (see consent form above); and
  • Application to include the Alternative Mandatory Condition (if applicable).
  • Proof of your right to work in the United Kingdom - individual applicants only

New premises licence application

Premises licence guidance notes

Processing and timescales

If posting the application, you are required to also serve a copy of the application, including the accompanying documentation, to the Responsible Authorities on the same day as the application is given to us. If the application is submitted electronically, we will provide copies to the Responsible Authorities by no later than the first working day after the application is received. 

The consultation period is 28 days from receipt of the application in full. At the end of the consultation period if no representations are received, the licence shall be granted the day after the end of the consultation period and will be issued within the following 28 days.

If relevant representations are made against the application, a hearing will be held within 20 working days following the end of the consultation period, where the matter will be decided by the Licensing Sub-Committee. A notice will be sent within 5 working days of the decision being made.  

Applicants are required to advertise their application in accordance with the relevant regulations - refer to the guidance notes on how to complete.

If no relevant representations (i.e. representations that were not deemed frivolous or vexatious) are received against your application, it will be granted as applied for upon completion of the consultation period.  

A hearing must be held if any relevant representations are made (and not withdrawn) in respect of the application. If a hearing is held the licence can be granted or granted subject to additional conditions, licensable activities listed in the application can be excluded or the application can be rejected. We will send the decision to the applicant, along with any persons who made relevant representations.

Validity and renewals

The licence is valid whilst the premises is being used for licensable activities and is subject to an annual fee. The annual fee is due on the anniversary of the grant of the licence an invoice shall be raised automatically and sent to the licence holder.

If you do not want to use the premises for licensable activities please ensure you surrender the premises licence.


Costs vary depending on your premises

List of fees and exemptions here

Contact us

Send completed forms to


Hounslow House
7 Bath Road
​​​​TW3 3EB


rating button