Plan, Start, Grow. Business in Hounslow

Running a business from home

You may need permission or separate insurance to run a home business, and you’ll need to check if you have to pay business rates.

The government has guidance for running a business from home. This includes advice on:

  • getting permission from your mortgage provider or landlord
  • getting permission from the local council
  • insurance
  • tax allowances
  • business rates
  • health and safety.

Home Business Guide

A guide to starting and growing a business from home.

Starting a food business from home

When you start a new food business, you will need to register with your local authority.

  • You should do this at least 28 days before opening.
  • Registration of your food business is free.

This below guidance provides information for businesses selling food online, which outlines legal requirements and safety considerations.

View Advice to businesses selling food online

View Food Sold Online

View Selling and buying food online Q and A

Food Industry Guide to Good Hygiene Practice: Mail Order Food 

rating button