The Government has introduced a temporary scheme to provide rates relief to all occupied retail properties (shops, restaurants, cafes, and drinking establishments).
Qualifying ratepayers, with a rateable value less than £51,000, will receive a discount of one third of the bill (after any other reliefs have been taken account of) for each of the 2019/20 and 2020/21 financial years.
Relief can be applied to more than one property, if each property qualifies for relief.
You will qualify for Retail Relief if you meet the following criteria:
- Rateable value is less than £51,000
- Property is occupied (i.e. in use/trading)
- Your property is being used wholly or mainly for retail purposes
- Your property is reasonably accessible to members of the public
- Award of relief would not break rules on State Aid*
(Threshold of €200,000 euros over last 3 financial years)
*Further information on State Aid can be found at https://www.gov.uk/state-aid