Buildings Insurance

As the freeholder of your leasehold flat, the Council is responsible for providing comprehensive buildings insurance cover for your property. You cannot opt out or arrange your own cover with another company. 
The policy does not cover contents and you are strongly recommended to take out your own contents cover. 
We currently insure our residential leasehold properties through Avid Insurance Services Ltd. 
Your buildings insurance premium is calculated on the basis of the property’s reinstatement value and we committed last year to a review of the historic reinstatement values being used, in order that similar properties receive similar premiums based on up to date information.  
A preliminary desktop analysis has now been completed, supplemented by inspections carried out by to a sample of properties throughout the borough individually assessed by an RICS Chartered Surveyor independent of the current insurance suppliers.  
Over the next 3-4 years we will be looking to undertake a rolling programme of reinstatement revaluations of all properties in the leasehold stock, which may result in further adjustment of to the reinstatement value of your property.  

How to make a claim

Leaseholder claims are managed by QuestGates as our Insurers appointed agents. QuestGates are Chartered Loss Adjusters and Claims Handling specialists.
The most efficient way to submit a claim is via the portal. This uploads the details of the claim together with any documents / photo’s / video’s you have of the damage via a secure network. The platform can be used at any time of day, 365 days a year. The average time to make a claim via this method is circa 7 minutes. QuestGates will contact you as soon as they can to progress the claim, once they have received it.
Alternatively, you can complete a claim form and send it with two estimates for repair and photographs of the damage by email or by post to:
QuestGates Limited 
Benchmark House 
Folds Point 
Folds Road 
If the matter is urgent, you should contact them directly on 01204 860 427, as they may need to arrange immediate response.
Claims must be notified within 28 days of the event in the case of damage caused by riot, civil commotion, strikes, labour disturbances or malicious persons, or as soon as reasonably possible in the case of any other claim.
rating button