Leaseholders’ rights and responsibilities

The rights and responsibilities included in your lease are as follows:

Payment of service charges

Leaseholders are required to pay annual ground rent and service charges – these are a contribution towards services or works provided to the block or estate where your property is located. 

In addition, shared owners will also be required to pay rent on their un-acquired shared percentage. 

Gas Safety

You are required by law to have a gas safety check carried out each year.  By law, under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, it's your responsibility to get a Gas Safety Certificate every twelve months. You must get this from a Gas Safe Registered engineer for all pipe work, gas appliances and flues installed at your property.


You must advise us if you want to sub-let your property and provide your correspondence address and contact details.  Your tenants must sign a deed of covenant agreeing to comply with the requirements of the lease.  You will still be responsible for paying the service charges, maintaining the property and for the behaviour of your tenants, their family members and visitors.


Alterations to the structure or fabric of the property cannot be made without obtaining Hounslow’s written approval.  Our permission is needed before beginning any proposed alterations.


Hounslow officers, or their contractors have the right to enter properties to carry out inspections, repairs and maintenance works, including for communal services that run through any property or block.  We will give you at least 48 hours’ notice before doing this.  However, in the event of an emergency this period may be shorter.

Selling and re-mortgaging

You can sell your property whenever you wish.  However, if a purchase was made under the Right-to-Buy scheme, and the sale is within the discount repayment period, you will be required to repay some, or sometimes all, of the discount you initially received.  Your lease also states that you must notify the Council within one month if you sell or re-mortgaging your property.


Hounslow is responsible for maintaining the structure of the building you live in and for communal areas around the estate and you must pay your share of the cost.  You are responsible for maintaining the inside of your property, including: decorating regularly; maintaining the internal plumbing; electrical wiring; gas pipes; boilers and central heating (unless you are connected to a communal / district heating system). 

Report a repair

or by calling 020 8583 4000.


Hounslow arranges insurance cover for the buildings we own.

You need to arrange insurance cover for your own building contents.

The cover provided by the Council is for the structure of your property and communal areas and includes accidental damage, such as fire, storm damage, flooding and subsidence.


You must not cause a nuisance from your property.  This includes things like playing televisions and radios at reasonable levels, harassment of neighbours, using the property for illegal purposes, failing to control any pets, and obstructing communal areas with any items.  These can result in a breach of lease and the Council may take legal action against you.  

Use of property

Your property can only be used for residential purposes.  Holding a sale, auction or running a business from the property is not permitted.

Buying the freehold

If you meet certain statutory conditions you have the right to purchase the freehold of the building. This is called ‘Leasehold Enfranchisement’ or ‘Collective Enfranchisement’.

Contact us for more information

You can contact us in the following ways:


Telephone: 020 8583 3787



rating button