We are united in this country by shared values of democracy, free speech, mutual respect and opportunity for all.
The Government has a responsibility to protect the public from all the harms – in addition to terrorism – which extremists pose to our society.
The Counter-Extremism Strategy was published in October 2015 to assert and promote the shared values of our society, values that unite us.
There are 4 key pillars to the Strategy:
- countering the extremist ideology
- building a partnership with all those opposed to extremism
- disrupting extremists
- building more cohesive communities
At the heart of the Counter Extremism Strategy sits a partnership between Government and all those groups and communities who want to see extremism defeated. The Building a Stronger Britain Together programme (BSBT), was set up to support civil society and community organisations who work to create more resilient communities, stand up to extremism in all its forms and offer vulnerable individuals a positive alternative, regardless of race, faith, sexuality, age, and gender.
The programme offers 2 forms of support:
- in-kind support, such as social media training, technical assistance to help a group improve their website, or capacity building work to help a group protect more vulnerable individuals
- grants, targeted funding for specific projects with demonstrable outcomes which provide a positive alternative to extremist voices
If you know of any community groups who would be interested in or would benefit from the support available through Building a Stronger Britain Together and would like either additional information or support with an application, please email us .