Free childcare for two year olds

If you have a two year old child they may be able to get free childcare and early learning at a private day nursery, pre-school or with an Ofsted registered childminder if you get any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit – for parents of children born on or after 1st January 2016 and with an annual net earned income equivalent to and not exceeding £15,400
  • Universal Credit – for parents of children born before 1 January 2016 are not subject to a net income threshold
  • tax credits and an annual income of under £16,190 before tax
  • the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • Working tax credit during the four-week period immediately after employment ceases or after the parent / carer starts to work less than 16 hours per week

Special educational needs

You are also able to receive free childcare if your child:

  • has a current statement of special educational needs or an education, health and care plan
  • receives disability living allowance
  • is looked after by the local authority; or
  • has left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangement order or adoption order

If your child meets any of the looked-after or special educational needs criteria then you will not need to complete an online eligibility check form.

Please contact the Early Years and Childcare team to discuss accessing a free childcare place for your child. 

Telephone 020 8583 3470 or email

For more information

Please visit the free childcare and early learning for two year olds page on the Family Service Directory  and click on the  “check to see if you qualify” box to check your eligibility


rating button