Following an announcement by the Mayor of London, all primary school children who attend state schools in London will receive Free School Meals for the full academic year, starting this September 2023.
Your child in primary school will receive their free school meals automatically, and you do not need to apply.
However, your child may also be eligible for extra funding for their school from the Government, worth £1,300 per year. This is extra money to spend on enrichment activities, teacher development, and targeted support for the children that need it most. This may also entitle you to other benefits like food vouchers during the holidays.
Additionally, if you are in receipt of benefit related free school meals your child would be eligible for Holiday activities (HAF) this a great way for your child to have fun during the school holidays. Eligible children will have the opportunity to make new friends, take part in a variety of exciting activities, and they will have a healthy meal each day. Each activity session last for a minimum of four hours a day and operates in the following school holidays.
The entitlement for each eligible child is:
- 4 days for 4 hours during Easter
- 16 days for 4 hours during Summer
- 4 days for 4 hours during Winter
You will need to register for Free school meals to receive your Holiday activities voucher approximately 5 weeks prior to the holiday events.
If your household receives one of the benefits below, please complete the application process below for this additional support:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Universal Credit with a household income of less than £7,400 per year after tax and not including any benefit you receive
- Child Tax Credit, provided you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- or are being supported by the National Asylum Support Service (NASS).
- the form needs to be completed fully in a single visit, there is no way to save progress;
- you will need your National Insurance Number or National Asylum Support Service Number; and
- you will need names and date of births for each of your children you are applying for and the schools they attend;
If your child is already entitled to Free School Meals because you are receiving one of the qualifying benefits above, you do not need to reapply as your entitlement will continue until 31 March 2025.
If your child is attending any of the following schools, you must enquire and apply directly to the school for this additional funding.
- Springwest Academy
- Rivers Academy
- Reach Academy
- Free schools and independent schools
- Richmond & Hillingdon schools
All enquiries relating to the Mayor of London Free School Meals should be directed to your school as the Council cannot assist you with this.
Otherwise: Email the schools meal team