Council Tax bands and how to appeal

You may appeal against the council tax band of your property, if you believe that you should not be liable to pay the council tax, or if you believe that the council has made an error when calculating your bill.

The grounds for an appeal about your council tax band are restricted to the following cases:

  • where you believe that the banding should be changed because there has been a material increase or material reduction in the dwelling's value. A material increase in value may result from building, engineering or other work carried out on the dwelling. In these cases, revaluation does not take place until after a sale - so the person appealing would usually be the new owner or resident.
  • where you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes.
  • where the listing officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer.
  • where you become the taxpayer in respect of a dwelling for the first time. Your appeal must be made within six months, but if the same appeal has already been considered and determined by a Valuation Tribunal, it cannot be made again. However, the Valuation Office Agency may still consider your appeal even though you may be outside the six month time limit.

To appeal against the banding of a property, please contact the Valuation Office Agency at the address below or visit their website for further information.

Please do not make your appeal to the local authority.

Council Tax North
Valuation Office Agency
King William House
Market Place
Hull, HU1 1RT


Tel: 03000 501501

rating button