Hounslow's local list
What is a local list?
A local list is a list of buildings or sites which are recognized for their contribution to the local character and distinctiveness. Local lists, statutory listing and conservation areas contribute significantly to the character of an area and the quality of the built environment. The Local List gives recognition to assets which are considered to have local, rather than national significance. Buildings which are nationally significant often qualify for statutory listing. The list is not confined just to buildings, assets of various types can added to the local list. Assets on the list are known as ‘non-designated heritage assets’.
The local list should:
- Provide clear and current information about non-designated heritage assets in Hounslow
- Help to develop a better understanding of what local communities consider to be important in the local historic environment
- Celebrate the rich and diverse variety of features that give Hounslow its local character and distinctiveness
How will being on the local list affect my property?
Inclusion on the local list does not provide any additional planning controls, however it is a material consideration in planning decisions. Inclusion of an asset on the local list designates it as a ‘heritage asset’, and as such its preservation is an objective of the National Planning Police Framework (NPPF). The NPPF contains policies that apply to heritage assets regardless of whether or not they are locally listed, however, local listing provides a sound, consistent and accountable means of identifying local heritage assets to the benefit of good strategic planning for the area, and to the benefit of owners and developers wishing to fully understand local development opportunities and constraints.
Adopted Local List
Hounslow’s first local list was adopted in 1997. The local list was updated in September 2019 with the help of the community who made nominations to the local list. The local list will be updated periodically in the future and anyone wishing to submit a building, site or structure for consideration can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Historic England offer further guidance on local listing in their advice note: Local Heritage Listing
- Heritage Consultations webpage
- National Heritage List for England
- Heritage and Conservation questions
If you have any questions or concerns about the local list please email the conservation team or call 020 8583 4941.