May is National Walking Month. Walking is good for your physical health and your mental wellbeing. So, get out and get active.
Published: Friday, 28th April 2023
May is National Walking Month and there are plenty of opportunities to get out and get active in Hounslow.
The event is organised by the national charity Living Streets and with parks and green spaces aplenty, Hounslow is the perfect place to stride out and take the air.
If getting out and about in Hounslow’s beautiful natural landscape isn’t justification enough, walking can have lots of benefits for your physical and mental health and wellbeing.
It can help you connect with your local community and feel less isolated.
Walking is also one of the best forms of exercise and it’s free!
Just 20 minutes can help to reduce your risk of several illnesses, including heart disease, depression, Type 2 diabetes and cancers.
Here are some great ideas to get you out and walking during May.
- Step up for the school run - leave the car at home and walk your children or grandchildren into school. It’s a great together-time.
- Walk to the shops - The walk will do you good and you never know who you will meet.
- Go on an adventure - Hounslow has acres of parks, green spaces and woodlands. Chart your own path and get out there amongst the greenery.
- Take the air of an evening - going for a short walk after work could be the perfect way to de-stress. Reconnecting with nature could help you to gather your thoughts.
Do it Better with BetterPoints
Hounslow’s physical activity app BetterPoints is offering you the chance to earn rewards for walking during May.
Users of the BetterPoints app are being offered a range of incentives for National Walking Month and you can earn points simply by stepping out.
- Between May 1 and May 10 users of the app who walk for just 10 minutes a day will be entered into a daily prize draw to win 10, 000 BetterPoints - that’s a tenner!
- Step it up between May 11 and May 20 by walking for 20 minutes and you could earn 20,000 BetterPoints a day.
- Turn your walk into half an hour between May 21 and May 31 and you get entered into the daily draw for 30,000 BetterPoints.
BetterPoints are a digital currency that can be spent in local participating shops, exchanged for shopping vouchers or donated to the charity of your choice.
What are you waiting for? Get over to the BetterPoints website and sign up for the app today.
Find out more about National Walking Month in Hounslow at InHounslow.