Refer a person facing homelessness as a professional in a public authority

People who work for a specified public authority have a duty to refer people who they believe may be homeless or threatened with homelessness.

You can also report a person sleeping rough as a member of the public.

If you would like to make a referral, you must have the consent of a person you are referring.

You should email us at with the following information about the person facing homelessness:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Latest address
  • Contact information (for example, contact telephone number, contact email address and whether there are any communication or language barriers or practical difficulties)
  • A summary of the person's situation

Please also attach any relevant documents you may have.

We will aim to help them within 56 days to:

  • remain in their current accommodation if they are at risk of being homeless
  • find suitable accommodation if they are already homeless
  • find emergency accommodation if they are deemed to be in priority need

Read more: How we'll help when you tell us you're homeless

A referral is not a formal homelessness application. This means we will need the full co-operation of the person you are referring to be able to give them the best possible help and advice.

You can also recommend that the person contacts us directly to tell us they're homeless.

rating button