Better Homes, Better Health provides a free package of support to help eligible Hounslow residents improve their homes, keep warm and save money on energy bills.
The service aims to promote wellbeing and reduce incidences of ill-health during winter through home visits by trained energy advisors. A single referral to the scheme will provide access to a range of support and advice, including:
Home energy assessment:
- home survey to identify issues the property may have in terms of heat loss, energy use and damp and mould
- identify the potential for the installation of energy efficiency measures (such as loft, cavity wall insulation and boiler upgrades)
- explanation of energy efficiency schemes / grants that can offer assistance accessing these measures
Advice on energy bills and energy saving behaviour:
- energy saving tips to help residents understand how their energy is used
- advice on heating and powering their homes most effectively, to save money
- guidance on how to maximise use of fuel discounts and where appropriate, provide assistance to:-
- claiming the Warm Homes Discount
- sign up to their Priority Services Register
- benefits checks can also be undertaken using accessible and suitable information from the resident
The provision of small, easy-to-install energy saving measures and or winter warmth packs:
- provision and installation of free small energy saving measures to residents; such as draught proofing, reflective radiator panels and energy monitors
- winter warmth packs will also provide immediate relief to those most in need
There is an opportunity to offer residents other services during the home energy visit – particularly those addressing fuel poverty, health and housing related issues.
Services include (but are not limited to):
- handyperson service for help with small / low cost repairs around the home
- One You Hounslow (local support to help you eat well, move more, stop smoking or drink less)
- Hounslow citizens advice bureau for benefit checks and fuel debt advice
- London fire brigade for a free fire safety check and smoke alarm
Who is eligible for this service
Any vulnerable resident can be referred.
The following groups are particularly important:
- residents over the age of 70
- low income families with children under 5
- residents with long-term health conditions including, residents with cardiovascular and respiratory illnesses
Making a referral
It’s easy. You can contact Groundwork London who are delivering home energy visits on behalf of the council on: 0300 365 3005 Or you can make a referral by completing the
online referral form
You do need the consent of residents to make a referral so we can contact them.