What is The Summer Reading Challenge
The Reading Agency's Summer Reading Challenge encourages children to keep reading during the school summer holidays – and to enjoy anything they like to read! Children aged 4-11 are invited to read and review books, and collect rewards for their reading.
It’s FREE to take part, and last year 75% of children taking part improved their reading skills over the holidays.
Why should my child sign up?
- They will be better prepared to return to school in the autumn.
- The Challenge supports the move into a new year group.
- Becoming more independent in their reading boosts children’s confidence and self-esteem.
- The library provides free access to books and fun family activities all through the summer.
- Library staff are on hand to offer support and book recommendations.
- Your child will be part of a UK-wide programme developed by The Reading Agency and delivered in partnership with the public library network.
How can my child take part?
In the library!
Your child can choose anything they like to read for the summer, and borrow and read books, eBooks and audiobooks! They will receive a Challenge folder and collect special stickers and rewards for reading.
When does it run?
Throughout the summer holidays. In Hounslow Libraries, the Challenge will launch on Saturday 15th July 2023, and finish on Saturday 9th September 2023.
Head to your local branch this summer and sign up!