Welcome to the digital home of our Children’s Library Service, where we have a wealth of things on offer for children aged one day to 14 years old. We’re sure you’ll find at least one thing to catch your eye and ignite your interest and imagination! Find out what you can borrow and how below.
Help with homework or just interesting browsing can be found in the Encyclopedia Britannica Junior Edition here.
What’s on Offer?
Childrens Library In each of our 11 libraries you will find a dedicated children’s library, ordinarily stocked with the following items:
- Baby Books
- Picture Books
- Picture Books for Older Readers, including graphic novels and puzzle books
- Beginner Reads
- Short Chapter Books
- Dual Language Books
- Junior Fiction
- Teen Fiction
- Teen+ Fiction
- Non-Fiction, for all your hobby and homework needs
- Barrington Stoke Books, particularly useful for children with Dyslexia
- Spoken Word CDs
- PlayAways, mini MP3s. Just plug in earphones and away you go!
- Ebooks (you will need your library card and PIN number). For use on any device except Kindle.
- Children’s entertainment and educational DVDs, which must be issued to an adult library card.
- Computers, for homework and fun
- Free online resources to access from the library or home
As well as our stock there are also a huge amount of activities that take place in our children’s libraries:
- Story Times, ideal for older pre-schoolers and their parent/carers
- Rhyme Times, ideal for younger pre-schoolers and their parent/carers
- Chatterbooks Reading Groups, for readers of any level aged between 8-11 years old
- Puzzle Time
- Other activities and events to keep children interested and occupied during school holidays as well as marking special events. Pick up our What’s On booklet for up-to-date information.
Please come and make use of our facilities. We would love to welcome you to a library and help you find something you’ll love!
To make the most of all that is on offer children will need their own library card. Pick up a form from your local Borough of Hounslow library and complete the details. A parent/carer will need to sign it on behalf of the child. Hand the form in at your local library, together with one form of ID for the parent/carer, in exchange for a card.
Please be aware that if you lose a child's library card, a replacement charge of £1.60 will need to be paid in order to get a new one.
Computers & the Internet
All our libraries have computers which children can use, either in the main library or in the children’s area. You will need to ask your parent or carer to sign a form before you can use the computers. Ask a member of staff how to use this service.
Please be aware that the computers at the libraries will shutdown automatically 15 minutes before the closing times.
What can I borrow?
Children aged 0-11 years
Children aged 0-11 years can borrow up to 6 items on their card. If any item on their card fails to be returned or renewed on or before the due date there will be an overdue charge of 6p per item per day applied.
Children aged 12 and over
Children aged 12 and over can borrow up to 25 items on their card. If any item on their card fails to be returned or renewed on or before the due date there will be an overdue charge of 12p per item per day applied.
Books and CDs can be borrowed for up to 3 weeks. Remember to return or renew before the due date, otherwise you will need to pay the overdue charges. Please be aware that if an item on your card has been reserved by another borrower you may be unable to renew the item. If this happens, you must ensure that the item/items are returned by the due date.