Hounslow Council is working with Podback to provide this new free recycling service, helping you to recycle your pods (coffee, tea and hot chocolate) as part of your normal kerbside recycling collection.
Podback is a nationwide, not-for-profit, coffee pod recycling service. Created by the biggest names in coffee pod systems, Nespresso, NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto and Tassimo, to give people who enjoy the quality and taste of coffee pods simple and easy ways to recycle them.
How to get started
It’s easy to start recycling your pods, simply follow the steps below:
- Sign up and order your FREE recycling bags from Podback. Follow the online instructions to create your personal Podback account.
- Podback will send you two rolls of recycling bags, along with an instruction leaflet. Each roll contains 13 bags for recycling your aluminium or plastic coffee pods. Bags are sent by Royal Mail and should arrive within 7 – 10 working days.
- Once you have your bags, fill them as instructed.
- Place the bag(s) next to the recycling boxes by 7am on the normal recycling collection day.
- When you need to top up your supply of recycling bags you can log into your account on the Podback website and reorder.
I live in a flat, can I still participate in the scheme?
If you live in a block of flats with a communal bin collection, you can use the Podback Drop Off service, provided by Yodel. To find out more, and how to get your free recycling bags for this service, please visit the Podback website.
Aluminium coffee pods
Plastic coffee pods
What happens to the pods once collected?
The coffee pods you recycle with Podback are taken to specialist aluminium and plastics reprocessing plants in the UK. The coffee grounds are removed, and the plastic and aluminium are then transformed into new products, including beverage cans, car components, plastic garden furniture and building products.
The coffee grounds are used to create renewable energy (biogas) and soil improver.
What to do if your Podback bags are not collected
If your pods have not been collected, please take them back inside your property and put out again on your next scheduled collection. If you have had multiple missed collections, please let us know by contacting us via email.
The recycling crews will collect all Podback recycling bags that are clearly visible, securely tied and not split or overflowing.
It may be that the crew had to leave the bags as they contained the wrong materials. Please make sure your bags only contain coffee pods and are not filled with liquids or packaging. If the bags do contain the wrong materials or lots of liquid, please remove these before putting them out on your next collection.
What types of coffee pods can be recycled?
Plastic and aluminium pods for coffee, tea, hot chocolate and milk from participating Podback member brands can be recycled using Podback collection bags. When you sign up on the Podback website you’ll be asked what brand of pods you use. This is so you get the correct bag – white bags for aluminium pods, green bags for plastic pods. The two materials need to be collected separately as they are sent to different recycling facilities.