The London Borough of Hounslow is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. Through this Privacy Notice we have sought to be as transparent as possible and fully explain how your personal data is held and processed.
This privacy notice applies to services provided by the Neighbourhood Enforcement Service and tells you what to expect us to do with your personal information.
Under Data Protection law, the London Borough of Hounslow is a Data Controller and we are responsible for collecting and processing your personal information in order to provide a public service and meet our statutory obligation.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or any concerns about how we process your data, please contact the pollution team at firstname.lastname@example.org. The privacy notice will continue to be monitored and updated. You are advised to check this page from time to time.
Information we collect
In order to carry out the functions of the Neighbourhood Enforcement Service, it is necessary for the council to collect and hold personal information about you. The information we collect may include:
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Vehicle registration
- Statements of information
How do we get your information
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for example:
- You have contacted the council to report an issue that the Neighbourhood Enforcement Team will investigate, for example a noise complaint, a report of fly-tipped waste or concerns regarding anti-social behaviour where you live. We record your contact information in order that we can update you on the progress of your case.
We also receive personal information indirectly, in the following scenarios:
- We may have received a report regarding your property
- We may have witnessed a fly-tipping incident involving your vehicle, and recorded your registration details in order to investigate further
If it is not disproportionate or prejudicial, we’ll contact you to let you know we are processing your personal information.
What do we use your information for?
We collect and hold personal information to enable us to respond to and investigate cases relevant to neighbourhood enforcement including but not limited to noise and other forms of statutory nuisance, waste issues such as fly-tipping and littering, abandoned vehicles, licensing and anti-social behaviour. Any personal information we collect enables us to contact you and provide support.
The London Borough of Hounslow is also under a duty to protect the public funds it administers so we may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with law enforcement agencies and other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds.
Our Lawful basis for processing your information
The Neighbourhood Enforcement Service must process all personal data lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner under GDPR Article 6.
Lawful Basis under Article 6 GDPR
The lawful basis we rely on for processing this information is
- Legal obligation
- Vital interests
- Public task
- Legitimate interests
Who your information may be shared with (internally and externally)
We may need to share the information you provide us with other professional organisations such as:
- Other departments within the Council
- The Metropolitan Police Service
- London Fire Brigade
- LA Support Ltd
- Other local authorities
We will only share your information with internal departments and other service providers, contractors and/or partner bodies where it is necessary:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- Where permitted under the Data Protection Law
- Where the disclosure is necessary for the prevention and/or detection of crime
- Where it is necessary to allow a third party working for or on behalf of the Council
How long we keep your information
We keep your personal data for 7 years.
We will then dispose your information in the most secure manner possible.
Business Intelligence, Profiling and Analysis
We may analyse your information to improve services and for the following purposes;
- undertake statutory functions efficiently and effectively
- service planning by understanding your needs to provide the services that you request
- understanding what we can do for you and inform you of other relevant services and benefits
- help us to build up a picture of how we are performing at delivering services to you and what services the people of Hounslow need
- analysis of costs and spend of services we provide so that we can to ensure better and efficient use of public funds
- Emergency planning.
The Council is committed to using pseudonymised or anonymised information where practical and in many cases, this will be the default position.
The rights available to you depend on our reason for processing your information. For further information about your data protection rights and how to make a request, please see ‘Your rights’
Your right to make a complaint
The Council tries to meet the highest standards when collecting and using personal information. For this reason, we take any complaints we receive about this very seriously. We encourage people to bring it to our attention if they think that our collection or use of information is unfair, misleading or inappropriate.
If you want to make a complaint you can contact us on:
London Borough of Hounslow
7 Bath Road
Data Protection Officer
The Council’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted on:
Information Governance Team
London Borough of Hounslow
7 Bath Road
Information Commissioner’s Office
The Information Commissioner is the UK's independent body set up to uphold information rights.
If you would like to know more about your rights under the Data Protection law, and what you should expect, visit the Information Commissioner’s website: https://ico.org.uk/
If you have any concerns regarding any privacy practices or about exercising your Data Protection rights, you may contact the Information Commissioner’s Office:
Information Commissioner's Office
Telephone: 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545 745
A full list of what information we control and process and for what purposes is set out in our notification with the Information Commissioner's Register of Data Controllers. Our registration number is Z5761176. You can view our registration on the Information Commissioner's website.