If you are a private tenant renting from a private landlord, you can call upon us for a wide range of advice and support.
Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) has published a guide "How to Rent" to help prospective and current tenants understand their rights and responsibilities when renting in the Private Rented sector.
Houses in Multiple Occupations
A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is a property where several people live and share facilities, but do not form a single household. For example a bedsit, hostel, shared houses and flats.
Accredited landlords scheme
The Landlord Accreditation Scheme will give tenants’ piece of mind that their chosen landlord has been vetted and trained. Aside from opportunities for training, there are a whole package of incentives to encourage landlords to sign up; most recently including significant reductions to tenancy deposit insurance schemes.
What your landlord must provide
- The Energy performance certificate must be shown to all potential tenants
- A gas safety record
- All deposits taken by landlords and letting agents for assured shorthold tenancies must be protected by a Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme.
- A copy of the guide How to rent: The checklist for renting in England.
Renting a safe home
Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) has published a guide "Renting a safe home" to help tenants to identify hazards or health risks, to work out whether a property is safe and to explain what to do if it is not.
- Citizens Advice Hounslow offers free information and advice to help people resolve their housing issues.
- Shelter is a registered charity that offers information and advice for all housing issues. Phone: 0808 800 4444.
- Civil legal advice offers free confidential advice on all tenancy issues on: 0845 345 4345
During our office hours from 9am until 5pm. Monday to Friday
Telephone: 020 8583 3842
In person at:
Housing Client Service
7 Bath Road