Money advice and debt counselling

There are many sources of money and advice and debt counselling.

Government guidance - coronavirus impact 

For government generic information on coronavirus, please visit the GOV.UK website.

For information on The Ministry of Housing and Communities (MHCLG) plans for emergency legislation to suspend evictions from social or private rented accommodation, please visit the MHCLG website.

To find out how to claim statutory sick pay (SSP), please visit the GOV.UK website.

For employment and support allowance (ESA), please visit the GOV.UK website.

If you need advice on financial planning, including expenses and what expenses have been “frozen”, please visit the Money Advice Service website.

Independent and free money and debt advice

National Debtline

Telephone 0808 808 4000 Mon–Fri 9am to 8pm Sat 9.30 to 1pm More details

StepChange Debt Charity

Telephone 0800 138 1111 (Freephone including all mobiles) More details

This national charity gives free advice on:

  • managing debt
  • individual voluntary arrangements (IVAs)
  • debt relief orders.

It runs a free online debt-counselling service Debt Remedy available 24 hours a day. You don’t need to give your name. The service can help you to reach a realistic budget, so you can clear your arrears over a realistic period of time.

The Money Advice Service

Free and impartial money advice, set up by government.

Telephone 0800 138 7777 (Calls are free)

Visit the Money Helper website

  • Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
  • Saturday, 9am to 1pm
  • Sunday and Bank Holidays, closed

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

CAB gives confidential advice on benefits, benefit assessment and debt.

Telephone 0808 278 7830 to find out more about CAB offices (below) and outreach locations across the borough:

  • Feltham - The Centre (by the library)
  • Brentford and Chiswick Town Hall, Heathfield Terrace, Chiswick

You can also go to the CAB website.


This government website provides an online benefits advisor tool which you can use to find out what benefits you may be entitled to. More details

Credit Union

Thamesbank Credit Union is a financial co-operative that, unlike banks, is owned and operated by its members for the benefit of its members. The Credit Union serves anyone who lives in Hounslow and can provide members with affordable credit, without the need for personal guarantees.

More details or call 020 8756 3865.


Hounslow Housing money and debt advice services

If you are a council tenant or leaseholder with arrears, we can arrange a free, confidential session with a money/debt adviser. Contact your Housing Officer to arrange an appointment on 020 8583 4000 or visit your local Housing office.

Help with paying your rent

If you are having difficulty paying your rent and are not already on Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, you may qualify. Contact your local job centre to find out more about Universal Credit.

Report a Loan Shark

Loan sharks are illegal moneylenders who often charge very high interest rates. Loan Sharks sometimes enforce repayment using blackmail or threats of violence. You can report loan sharks anonymously:

Illegal Money Lending Team 
Telephone: 0300 555 2222
24-hour service
Text a report to 07860 022 11


You can check if a company is authorised to lend money:

Telephone: 0800 111 6768
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 9am to 1pm 


Foodbox Foodbank

Hounslow Housing works closely with Foodbox food bank. If you need to make use of the Foodbank you will need to request a voucher from your Housing Officer, local Citizens Advice Bureau, or Jobcentre Plus. Residents can use Foodbox no more than three times in a 12-month period although there is flexibility in extenuating circumstances.

Visit Hounslow FoodBox 

rating button