Lodgers and subletting

The Housing Act 1985 does not permit subletting and/or parting with possession of the whole of your home. This is also in your Tenancy Agreement.

If you have a full tenancy you have the right to take in lodgers, but you must ask us for permission before taking a lodger into your home.

If you are a probationary tenant you are not permitted to sublet or take on a lodger.

You should only take in a lodger if you have room. If it leads to overcrowding in your home, we have grounds for evicting you.

You also have the right to sublet part of your home but only with our written permission, which you must obtain beforehand. We will not refuse permission to sublet without good reason (such as overcrowding).

If we refuse permission and you think this is unreasonable, you have the right to challenge our decision.

If you sublet without permission, we may ask you to evict your tenant. If you do not do so, we may serve a Notice of Seeking Possession to end your tenancy.

You should not evict a lodger or tenant without first seeking advice from the law centre, the Citizens Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Housing benefit

If you take in a lodger or sublet and are claiming Housing Benefit you must notify Hounslow Revenue Services on 020 8583 4242.

Tell us about any changes

You should also let us know if a member of your family comes to live permanently in your home. We refer to this as a ‘Change of Circumstances’. You will need to complete a form - contact the Customer Service Centre by email or by telephone on 020 8583 4000.


rating button