Register a birth

Who can register the birth

  • If the baby's parents are married or in a civil partnership, either the mother or father can register.
  • If parents are unmarried/not in a civil partnership and mother wants to include baby's father's details in the register they must attend together.
  • If father cannot attend the appointment, the mother can bring a 'signed declaration' (statutory declaration of parentage) from the father (the register office can explain how to do this).
  • The mother can choose to register the birth on her own if she isn't married/ in a civil partnership to the child's father. The father's details won't be included on the birth certificate.

It might be possible to add the father's details at a later date by completing an application for the re-registration of a child's birth.


rating button