A death that occurred in the London Borough of Hounslow must be registered within five days unless it has been referred to the coroner. Where the death has been referred to the coroner, it cannot be registered until the registrar has received written authority from the coroner. All death registrations are by appointment only
Only qualified informants can register a death:
- a relative of the deceased
- a person present at the death
- the person arranging the funeral
- the occupier of the home or hospital.
Documents you need to bring with you
You must bring the medical certificate of cause of death given to you by the certifying doctor, otherwise the registrar will be unable to complete the registration. If the death has been referred to the coroner, the coroner will send the paperwork required for the registration directly to the registrar.
It would also be useful for you to bring:
- the deceased's passport or birth certificate
- the deceased marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applicable)
- the deceased's medical card
- and a document with the deceased's usual address.
Please note that you are not legally required to bring these documents but if you do, it will ensure that the registration is completed accurately.
You will need to know the following information:
- the date and place of death
- the deceased's full name and surname (and the maiden surname if the deceased was a woman who had married or formed a civil partnership)
- the deceased's date and place of birth (town and county if born in the UK, and country if born abroad)
- the deceased's occupation and the name and occupation of their spouse or civil partner
- the deceased's last (usual) address
- whether the deceased was getting a pension or allowance from public funds
- and if the deceased was married or a civil partner, the date of birth of the surviving widow, widower or civil partner.
If English is not your first language, feel free to ask a friend or relative to come with you, but you must register the death in person.
Upon completion of the registration, you will receive a certificate for burial or cremation, which is known as the Green Form (unless the coroner has already issued an order for burial or a certificate for cremation) it should be taken to the funeral director so that the funeral can take place.
If you have discovered an error in a death record, it may be possible to arrange for the entry to be corrected by means of a marginal note at the bottom of the entry. The type of correction required depends entirely on what information needs to be changed. Some errors can be authorised by the register office; others will require authorisation by the General Register Office.
There are statutory fees to consider any correction. This fee is payable to the Register Office at the time you submit the application and any documentary evidence required. Please note the statutory fees are for consideration of a correction and not the outcome. There is also a fee for each certificate requested that shows the correction note.
Consideration by Registrar/Superintendent Registrar of a correction application £75.00
Consideration by the Registrar General of a correction application £90.00
Tell Us Once
The registrar will offer you the Tell Us Once service, enabling you to inform multiple local and central government departments of the death in one contact.
A Certificate of Registration of Death (BD8) - this is for Social Security purposes only. If you are using the Tell us Once service the state pension will be informed automatically. If not, you will need to use this form to notify them of a change in circumstances. There is no charge for the death registration or the Tell Us Once service.
If you require death certificates. Any number of these may be purchased on the day of registration for a cost of £4 each. The cost of certificates purchased after the day of registration but still in a current register is £7.
Customers who wish to register a death that occurred outside the London Borough of Hounslow should attend the register office of the borough or district in which the death occurred.
Other local register office details can be found on the link on the right or the General Register Office website www.gro.gov.uk
We are unable at this time to offer a civil funeral service.
Order a death certificate by post
Apply to us in writing. Send us a letter with the full name and surname of the deceased and the date and place of death. Please ensure you include a contact telephone number, enclose your fee and a stamped address envelope
The fee for a death certificate is £10. Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to the London Borough of Hounslow.
Postal applications are processed approximately 5 workings days from receipt of application. Certificates are posted first class using the Royal Mail Postal Service. We are currently unable to accept credit card telephone applications. We are unable to provide certificates if you only have a volume and page number, quarter and district. These are the unique index reference for the General Register Office (GRO) and you should direct your application to them.
Standard service: £10 per certified copy of the entry. This will be provided within five working days. All applications will be posted (we do not charge for postage).
Service and charges for applications made in person:
- One hour service: £10 for each copy of the entry plus an additional fee of £15 for the express service.
- Next working day service: £10 for each copy of the entry plus an additional fee of £10 for the service. Certificates are ready for collection the following day from 3pm (collections on Wednesday between 12-1pm as the offices closes at 1pm).
- Current Registers: On the day of registration certificates are £4 each. After registration the fee of each certificate is £7.
- We can also offer 1 hour service at additional fee of £15 or next working day service at additional fee of £10.
Cemeteries and Crematoriums
The cemetery service provides for burial of many faiths, religions and beliefs thereby reflecting the multicultural blend of Hounslow.
Email the register office team
Telephone: 0208 583 2090
Hounslow Register Office
38-40 Harlington Road West
Nearest railway station: Feltham
Nearest underground station: Hatton Cross - Piccadilly line
Local buses 90,235,285,116,117,H26, 490
- Monday: 9am - 4.30pm
- Tuesday: 9am - 4.30pm
- Wednesday: 9am - 1pm closed in the afternoon
- Thursday: 9am - 4.30pm
- Friday: 9am - 4.30pm
Tell Us Once
Certificate ordering service - General Register Office
Funeral payments GOV.UK