Register a birth

Book your appointments online!

We've launched a new online system to allow you to book an appointment to register a Birth, Death, Stillbirth, Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership.  Read more.

Book your appointment 

The backlog of birth registrations caused by the pandemic has affected the availability of appointments we can offer.  

There are delays but we are offering the earliest appointments we have.


For the protection of our customers and team, safety measures will be in place throughout the building. To reduce the numbers of customers in the building at any one time we will be asking for only the appropriate informant to attend. 

We can only register births that have taken place within the borough of Hounslow. If the baby was born outside the borough then you will need to speak to the local Register Office where the birth took place.

To search for a register office visit

You must attend the Register Office to register the baby's birth.

Register the birth of a new born baby

All birth registrations are by appointment only.

Who can register the birth

  • If the baby's parents are married or in a civil partnership, either the mother or father  can register.
  • If parents are unmarried/not in a civil partnership and mother wants to include baby's father's details in the register they must attend together.
  • If father cannot attend the appointment, the mother can bring a 'signed declaration' (statutory declaration of parentage) from the father (the register office can explain how to do this).
  • The mother can choose to register the birth on her own if she isn't married/ in a civil partnership to the child's father. The father's details won't be included on the birth certificate.

It might be possible to add the father's details at a later date by completing an application for the re-registration of a child's birth.

Same-sex female couples:

Female couples can include both their names on their child's birth certificate when registering the birth.

Married or civil-partner parents

Either parent can register the birth on her own if all of the following are true:

  • the mother has a child by donor insemination or fertility treatment
  • she was married or in a civil partnership at the time of the treatment

Unmarried, non-civil-partner parents

When a mother isn't married or in a civil partnership, her partner can be seen as the child's second parent if both women:

  • are treated together in the UK by a licensed clinic
  • have made a 'parenthood agreement'

However, for both parents' details to be recorded on the birth certificate, they must do one of the following:

  • register the birth jointly
  • complete a 'Statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage' form and one parent takes the signed form when she registers the birth
  • get a document from the court (eg a court order) giving the second female parent parental responsibility and one parent shows the document when she registers the birth

Documents you will need to bring with you:

  • passport or birth certificates for mother and father/2nd parent.
  • proof of address.
  • where both parents are married or in a civil partnership to one another, the marriage/civil partnership certificate.

If English is not your first language, feel free to ask a friend or relative to attend with you, but you must register the birth yourself.


Birth certificates can be purchased when booking an appointment or at the time of registration at a fee of £11.00 each. There are no free birth certificates issued.

Babies first or middle names can be changed or middle names added within 12 months of the birth registration. The fee to change a name is £40.00. 



If you have discovered an error in a birth record, it may be possible to arrange for the entry to be corrected by means of a marginal note at the bottom of the entry. The type of correction required depends entirely on what information needs to be changed. Some errors can be authorised by the register office; others will require authorisation by the General Register Office.

There are statutory fees to consider any correction. This fee is payable to the Register Office at the time you submit the application and any documentary evidence required.

Please note the statutory fees are for consideration of a correction and not the outcome.

There is also a fee for each certificate requested that shows the correction note.

Consideration by Registrar/Superintendent Registrar of a correction application £75.00
Consideration by the Registrar General of a correction application £90.00

Order a birth certificate

You can order a birth certificate from us on line or by post, if the child was born in the borough of Hounslow.

Applications are processed approximately 10 working days from receipt of application.


Apply for a birth certificate

You can apply by in writing by sending us a letter with your full name and surname at birth, your date and place of birth and mother and fathers full names. Please ensure you include a contact telephone number, enclose your fee and a stamped address envelope.

The fees are:

  • short birth certificate - £11.00
  • standard birth certificate - £11.00

Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to the London Borough of Hounslow. Postal applications are processed approximately 10 workings days from receipt of application. Certificates are posted first class using the Royal Mail Postal service (we do not charge for postage). We are unable to accept credit card telephone applications.



If the child was born outside the borough

You may order a certificate through the General Register Office for England and Wales. Please contact the  General Register Office website  or the local register office where the birth was registered. Hounslow Register Office are unable to provide certificates if you only have a volume and page number, quarter and district. These are the unique index reference for the General Register Office (GRO) and you should direct your application to them.


Don’t miss out on Child Benefit:

nformation about Child Benefit can be found on GOV.UK including the Child Benefit claim form CH2 (CH2 Claim Form). For your first child, this must be printed out, filled in, and sent to the Child Benefit office. If you don’t have access to a printer, you can call  0300 200 3100 and HMRC will send you a form in the post. The form also contains information for the small minority of families who may be eligible for the High-Income Child Benefit Charge (HICBC). If you already have a Child Benefit claim, you can add further children by calling HMRC on the number above.


Contact us

Email the register office team

Phone: 020 8583 2090

Hounslow Register Office
Feltham Lodge
38-40 Harlington Road West
TW14 0JJ

When using a sat nav, house number must be used with postcode to locate us.

Feltham lodge map

Nearest railway station: Feltham
Nearest underground station: Hatton Cross - Piccadilly line

Local buses 90,235,285,116,117,H26, 490

Opening hours:

  • Monday 9am - 4.30pm
  • Tuesday 9am - 4.30pm
  • Wednesday 9am - 1.00pm
  • Thursday 9am - 4.30pm
  • Friday 9am - 4.30pm
rating button