Housing benefit - reporting a change in circumstances

Make sure we're paying you the right benefit

You must tell us about any changes which affect your Housing Benefit or Council Tax reduction. The quickest and easiest way to tell us about a change is to use our online form below.

If you’re not sure how to use your online account, take a look at our short video showing how to report a change of circumstances, step by step.

Report a change in circumstances

Tell us about any changes as soon as possible. If you do not tell us promptly, you may be paid too much housing benefit and will have to pay it back.

If the change means your housing benefit increases, you must tell us within 1 month of the change. This will mean that the increase is paid from the Monday after the change. If you wait more than a month, the increase will only be paid from the Monday after you tell us.

You must tell us if

  • anyone moves into or out of your home
  • your income, capital, savings or investments change
  • your partner’s income, capital, savings or investments change
  • the income of anyone else living with you changes
  • your rent changes
  • you move house
  • the amount you pay for child care changes.

Self-employed income

If you are self-employed you will need to declare your income, visit the .Gov website and complete the income assessment form.

rating button