Request a housing repair

This page provides information about requesting a repair as a council tenant. There is different guidance if you're a leaseholder.

We are usually responsible for maintaining:

You are responsible for the inside of your home. This means there are things you should sort out yourself, rather than requesting a repair.

How to request

The way you should request a housing repair to us depends on whether it's an emergency situation.

For emergencies, you need to contact us by phone.

For non-emergencies, you can contact us online.


  • no heating or hot water
  • burst pipes or uncontrollable leaks
  • loss of power
  • boarding up broken windows
  • unsecure front door or window
  • loss of drinking water

Other situations are non-emergencies.

Contact us by phone in an emergency

For no heating or hot water:

  • 0800 634 9434 (seven days a week, 8am to 8pm)

Please note, our partners T Brown Group handles heating and hot water repairs.

For other emergencies:

  • 020 8583 4000 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm) and select option one
  • 020 8583 2222 (outside office hours)

Contact us when it's not an emergency

Request a non-emergency repair


When we'll repair

We prioritise every responsive repair depending on its urgency. We then allocate a target for the maximum time that it should take to complete, but we try to complete it sooner. 

Our target timescales are:

  • emergency - 24 hours
  • urgent - five days
  • routine - 20 days
  • minor works (larger jobs that need more planning) - 40 days

Our responsibilites

Structural issues:

  • outside - roof, chimney, foundations, drains, gutters, pipes, external walls, front doors and window frames
  • inside - walls, floors, ceilings and windows

We may charge you for repairs needed because of misuse, damage or neglect.


  • water pipes and tanks
  • electrical installations, including wiring, sockets and light fittings
  • gas installations, including all pipework
  • heating installations, including appliances, boilers and radiators
  • kitchen units, sinks and worktops
  • bathroom installations, including wash hand basins, baths and toilets

We may not be responsible for repairs to installations fitted without our written consent.

Communal areas: 

  • outside - communal gardens and pathways
  • inside - staircases, corridors and lifts

Things you should sort out yourself:

  • replacing locks and lost keys
  • replacing doorknobs, letterboxes and other door furniture
  • replacing broken toilet seats
  • unblocking sinks, baths and basins
  • replacing sink and bath plugs and chains
  • replacing electrical plugs and fuses
  • replacing light bulbs and fluorescent strips (except in communal areas)
  • filling minor cracks in plaster
  • repairing and replacing fences you share with neighbours
  • testing smoke alarms, in line with manufacturers' instructions and replacing their batteries
  • replacing washing lines (unless they are shared)
  • repairing items you have installed yourself
  • repairing your own electrical appliances
  • internal doors, handles and hinges inside the property, and cupboard catches
  • fixtures or fittings  provided by you, including extra security measures and alterations
  • keeping your home in a good decorative condition
  • taking reasonable care of all specialist adaptation equipment

Rechargeable works

You may be liable if a member of your household or a visitor is responsible for damage we repair. We would charge you for the repair, plus an administration fee and VAT.

This is because you have a duty to take reasonable care of your home, as set out in your tenancy agreement.

Where possible, we will tell you if the repair is ‘rechargeable’ when you first report it to us. We'll also provide an estimated cost. If you don't tell us you're responsible for the damage but we find this out when the workman attends, you will still be charged for the repair.

rating button