Registering to vote

British citizens living overseas

If you are a British citizen currently living outside of the UK, you may be eligible to be registered as an overseas elector.  Being registered as an overseas elector will enable you to vote in UK Parliamentary elections.

To be eligible to be registered to vote as an overseas elector, you must be a British citizen and was previously registered to vote at an address in the UK within the last 15 years.  If you were too young to be registered when you left the UK, at least one of your parents or guardians must have been previously registered to vote at your last UK address.

If you are eligible, please click here to complete an overseas elector application on the GOV.UK Register to Vote website.

Voting by post or proxy?

Once you are registered as an overseas elector, you can apply to vote by post or by proxy (someone voting on your behalf).

However, as UK Parliamentary elections can be called at short notice, we would strongly advise you to apply for a proxy vote rather than a postal vote as we cannot guarantee that you will receive your postal vote in time for you to complete and return it to us by the 10pm deadline on polling day.

If you would prefer to vote by proxy, please click here to download a proxy vote application form.

rating button