Hounslow isn’t like any other London borough council. It’s diverse, creative, and we have dedicated people who are delivering the best possible outcomes for the people they serve in the communities of Hounslow.
Hounslow is an attractive place to live and work. The borough has some of the most beautiful parks and open spaces in London, with no fewer than five historic houses and landscape gardens. Covering 23 square miles, Hounslow is one of the capital's most diverse boroughs and combines both town and country. We are proud that Hounslow is a real community of communities and one of the most culturally diverse areas in the UK. Over 250,000 people live in the borough.
The London Borough of Hounslow is an exciting place to work with ambitious plans to deliver the best services for our local community. Staff are recognised for their efforts both through annual appraisal and our annual staff reward and recognition ceremony.
Find out what it's like to work here
Benefits of working for us
Here’s a summary of the benefits available to employees:
- Annual leave – Generous annual leave entitlements starting from 24 days and rising to max 30 days. In addition, all staff are entitled to Bank Holidays and 3 days Christmas closure
- Enhanced maternity leave – Up to 52 weeks off after the birth of the baby and the option of a phased return over 3 months
- Flexible working – Including job share and reduced hours. Flexi time working may also be available, subject to your role
- Central locations – The majority of our staff are based at the Civic Centre in Hounslow. From Spring 2019, we will be moving to new purpose-built premises in the heart of Hounslow which is only a short walk away from the tube and overground stations. In-line with our commitment to the environment, these new premises will have no staff car parking facilities
- Flexible retirement – Flexible Retirement Policy aims to provide employees with options that enable them to achieve a better work-life balance
- WorkSmart scheme – Currently being introduced across the Council, this scheme gives employees greater flexibility around managing their own workloads.
- Local Government Pension Scheme – Open to all employees, this is a tax approved, occupational pension scheme. Your contributions are based on a sliding scale according to your salary band.
- Learning and development – Extensive In-house and external learning and development opportunities
- Pool cars – Hounslow council has teamed up with Zipcar, one of London’s leading car club operators, to provide pool cars for exclusive use by staff at business hours. These vehicles are reserved for LBH staff between 8am and 6pm every working day
- Pool bikes – At the Civic Centre, we offer a selection of 5 pool bikes that staff can use during the working day to carry out council duties in the borough
- Season ticket loans – Interest free loans for the purchase of annual British Rail and London Regional Transport Underground and Bus Season tickets from home to place of work
- Employee benefits – We are delighted to offer you a range of discounts and benefits across a range of companies which you can access as an employee of Hounslow.
- Key worker housing scheme - The Council's key worker housing scheme helps workers who are in eligible posts to find suitable affordable accommodation within or close to Hounslow and includes a financial contribution towards the initial deposit.
- Staff wellbeing services - Including access to Occupational Health, an Osteopath/Chiropractor and Employee Assistance Programme.
When you work here, you’ll always receive fair and equal treatment regardless of your race, nationality, colour, ethnic or national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, creed or disability. The council is a disability confident Committed employer.