What can you do to reduce your impact on the environment?
Simple changes can help you reduce your carbon footprint and its impact on the local and global climate. Reducing your energy also reduces energy costs. Insulating pipes and the loft, switching lights off when not in use, unplugging electronics when not in use and installing a thermostat can all help reduce your bills.
Read more about energy efficiency here.
You can also reduce your carbon footprint and protect the environment by:
- using sustainable modes of transport; where possible walk or cycle part of your route
- reducing the amount of waste you produce and reusing or recycling the rest
- installing solar panels on your home and considering rain water harvesting
- planting a tree or growing wildflowers in your garden.
The groups below welcome volunteers and members to join them in preserving outdoor spaces in the borough.
- The Conservation Volunteers
- Friends of the River Crane Environment
- Crane Valley Partnership
- Thames Landscape Strategy
- Your local park ‘friends’ group
- Waste and recycling
- Heathrow expansion
- Anti-idling in Hounslow
- Cycling in Hounslow
- Get Active outdoors
- Cleaner borough
Related external links
http://www.hounslowtravelactive.co.uk/ - Hounslow Travel Active - Details of free cycle training and tips on how to get active in Hounslow
https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/ - TfL Journey Planner - Ditch the car and find the quickest way around London by public transport, walking or cycling
https://www.walkingforhealth.org.uk/walkfinder/one-you-hounslow-health-walks - Free health walks for all ages all over the borough
https://www.sportengland.org/research/understanding-audiences/active-travel/ - more info here on the research that you may find useful