Welcome to Hounslow Council's Bulky Waste Collection Service, a cost effective and convenient collection service for the removal of large household items that are too big for normal household waste collection bins such as broken furniture and fridges.
To use the Bulky Waste service, you must be registered to pay Council Tax in Hounslow and your payment details must match your Council Tax address. Landlords with properties in the borough can also utilise the Bulky Waste service which is a new edition to the service.
Collections are available 5 days per week (Mon - Fri) with the option to select your preferred collection day (subject to availability) resulting in reduced waiting times and greater flexibility.
If you live in a flat, please note that items will only be collected from a communal area and you must seek permission from your landlord before leaving the items out for collection.
Collections can take place anytime between 7am and 3pm on your chosen collection day. Your items must be presented at the agreed collection point by 7am.
Costs (from 1 April 2020):
The price has decreased to £40 for up to 5 items (previously £50 until 1 April 2020), with any additional items charged at £8 per item.
Residents in receipt of Council Tax Reduction are eligible for the discounted rate of £15 for up to 5 items, with any additional items charged at £3 per item.
The cost to landlords is £70 for up to 5 items, with additional items charged at £14.
You can use the service as many times as you want, making it easier for residents to dispose of their bulky waste items all year round.
Remember the minimum charge is for up to 5 items, so it may be worth waiting until you have 5 items to dispose of before booking a collection.
Examples of large household items we can collect from your home:
- Mattresses and beds
- Strong black bags (3 bags equals 1 bulky waste item, so a standard 5 item collection could be up to 15 bags)*
- Computers and televisions
- White goods (e.g. refrigerators and washing machines)
- Cooking oil - no more than 25 litres in a sealed container
*bags must be strong, tied and not overloaded (under 10kg per sack). They cannot include general household waste, hazardous waste and sharp items must be wrapped to avoid piercing. If the item does not fit into a standard black sack then that item will need to be consdered as 1 whole item.
If you have any questions related to an item you wish to be collected, please call the number to book a collection and speak to an advisor, alternatively please email email@example.com
Items we cannot collect:
- Garden waste (soft, bag-able) - the garden waste collection service or Space Way Re-Use and Recycling Centre should be used for this type of material; large trees can be collected through the bulky waste service but must be cut into manageable pieces
- Cast iron baths, pianos, paving slabs, rubble - these items are too heavy for two operatives to lift. We recommend using a specialist contractor for these.
- Tyres, asbestos, meat, fluorescent tubes, chemicals or other hazardous waste - the vehicle is not licensed to carry this waste
- American style fridge freezers and any item that is too large and too heavy for two operatives to lift.
We cannot collect or remove waste generated from home improvements. If you have carried out the improvements yourself then it is advisable to hire a skip or to take your waste to your nearest recycling centre. You may be charged for this service as it is classified as industrial waste.
If a contractor has carried out this work and you have asked them to dispose of the waste, it is your responsibility to know where the contractor is sending your waste and that they are a legal operation. For more information on your duty as the producer of the waste visit https://www.gov.uk/topic/environmental-management/waste