Houses in multiple occupation

This is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 ‘household’ (eg a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. It’s sometimes called a ‘house share’

To read more about HMOs, visit the .GOV website

In Hounslow, with very few exceptions, every house in multiple occupation (HMO) must have a license.

Nationally any property of three of more stories occupied by five or more  unrelated people would need a HMO Licence . However, in London Borough of  Hounslow we operate an addition scheme which extends  the statutory scheme to include;

  • two or more storey properties occupied by four or more unrelated people, and
  • properties converted into flats  that do not comply with the 1991  or latest Building  Regulations 

Public information notice

If you own or manage an HMO you should apply to us for a licence.

It is a criminal offence to operate an HMO without a licence, and if convicted you could be liable to an unlimited fine.  In addition, you may have to repay rent to your tenants and the council will reclaim housing benefit payments made to unlicensed HMOs.

If you are prosecuted it will probably be difficult for you to get a property licence in the future.

If a property should be licensed but isn’t, the landlord cannot serve notice to quit on a tenant until the licence has been obtained.

The Council also has powers to take control of a property.

rating button